Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: 2003 GTI Le

PWCToday Newbie

2003 GTI Le

What would be the main cause of a ski, that ran great the day before, all of sudden bogging down as soon as it hits the water? It will start and rev up on the lift, but once it hits the water it bogs down to mid plane speed. I'm new to this forum and have tried to search for this but my eyes are crossing.

Thank you for any help.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 2003 GTI Le

I have the exact same ski with a very similar problem. I posted on greenhulk too but will repost here. Does this sort of describe your issue?

I purchased this 2003 GTI a couple years ago and haven't had any issues until recently. I was out for a couple hours a few weeks ago, it ran great until it all of a sudden lost top end power and started to shake horribly and had to get back cruising barely above idle. The engine may have been smoking a little more than normal but I don't have a good grasp on how much it smokes at idle anyways. I should also add that it still runs the oil injection system (not premix).

After this incident, I did a ton of research on the web and did the following:

-Checked fuel lines, they must have been replaced before I got the ski, they aren't the grey ones and have no goo.
    -Checked the fuel filter (looked clean)
    -Replaced spark plugs
    -Cut back plug wires
    -Put additives in the gas in case of water
    -Rebuilt the carb. Everything looked like it was in good shape, maybe some gaskets were worn (all replaced). The little filter looked pretty clean, only a tiny amount of gunk on it.

I filled it with fresh gas and took it out after all this and it ran great. Not really any better than it had run previously, but seemed back to normal. I was out about two hours that day.

I filled it again with gas yesterday and had it out for an hour or so and then it started to have the same symptoms. I lost all top end power. It was running rough. I tried switching between the reserve and regular tank with basically no variation in performance. I pulled the plugs after cleaning it in the driveway and they look maybe ever so slightly rich, but nothing crazy.

Any thoughts as to why it would go bad all of a sudden? I am tempted to take it out again to see if it runs fine for a bit after sitting for a few days.

Thanks!

PWCToday Newbie

Sounds exactly like what I am experiencing. I am in the middle of doing exactly the same things you mentioned, I did notice during my carb rebuild, that one of the small lines running on the carb itself was partially clogged with something hard, almost like a buildup that had packed the line. I pulled the fuel filter and there was some unusual looking material inside as well. I am going to see what I can to do to flush the tank, I hope that will fix the issue. Good luck on your project, let me know when you have an update.

PWCToday Newbie

Changed the diaphram, and filter in the carb, blew out the lines, changed the small lines on the carb, drained the gas, new gas, new plugs and stil the same problem! No power. Back to the garage, any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

Have you changed the voltage regulator yet?

If I'm not mistaken, your MPEM also seems to have a pretty high failure rate caused by a faulty diode under the encapsulation.

Start troubleshooting by trying to run the ski until the trouble occurs, then disconnect the red wire from the voltage regulator. If the ski runs instantly better, you may have just located your problem.

I just had a co-worker consult me with a similar problem on his 2002 GTI. He ended up buying an aftermarket MPEM made by Arieltek. So far, so good, and the new MPEM doesn't need to be programmed! No dealer visit, just plug and play! He also replaced his voltage regulator on my recommendation for peace of mind.
    Last edited by SpitAndDirt; 07-14-2018 at 06:35 PM.
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #1
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #2
    99XPL Runs like it's possessed! :

02RX Current project in-work, ready to be assembled.
    A BIG THANKS to Bill O' and Chris at Watercraft Magic for putting together an excellent re-jetting and Prok filter kit for the XPL.
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

PWCToday Newbie

Thank you, I’ll start there next.

PWCToday Newbie

I just got a call from the shop where I took mine to be serviced. They took it out on the lake and determined it was just carb tuning. He got it all dialed in and said it is working great now. I will update here if it doesn't fix the issue.
    Last edited by greginfinity; 07-25-2018 at 08:58 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Found the same on mine the last issue was caused from the throttle bracket coming loose. Once I reattached it has run great.

Thread Information