» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home theVetteman3's Avatar

Re: 87 JS300 vs.... everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by samanthabauerphotography View Post
    Thanks so much for the detailed reply
    I guess what I'm getting at and should have just asked... if I get "great" at riding these and doing a little of this and that... will a newish superjet seem like an easier machine to handle or more challenging.... ?
    I mean I drove a stick before I drove an automatic and obviously the transition was much easier than had it been the reverse!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
    Keep driving stick! Or at lest don't lose that skill. Long live the manuals.

Speaking from my own experience, and probably most of the guys in my dozen or so person riding group, the JS skis are great to learn the very basics on. They are super nimble and harder to ride. Especially harder to ride in fast turns. When you transition to pretty much any other ski, it will seem way more stable and easier to ride. On a JS, you are spending way more of your brain power focusing just on riding the thing. Staying balanced on it, taking turns. All that can be a great challenge and loads of fun- I certainly thought so. However, and this is the key point, you're spending more time how to work with a vintage hull and it's limitations than you are learning how to ride a stand up well.

So to your point, transitioning to another ski will be very similar to going from manual to auto in a car. But depending on your personality, you might find that new ski boring in a similar way how some view automatics more boring than manuals. Both have their place, and so do skis.

With a good handling ski, which I really only consider the first gen sxr or 2008+ SJ, you put more of your learning into increasing your own skill and learning how to ride better. My best decision was to get my first 2009 SJ. It's bone stock, but with light handling mods just is a perfect riding ski for me. I can push it, and while doing so get to be a much better rider. Less effort needs to be put into overcoming the limitations, so you can spend more of your time learning how to actually ride and increase your skill. Especially with high speed turns. I find this at least as challenging and fun as figuring out vintage skis. I just look way more impressive and skilled on my SJ than I do my vintage ones!

Oh and here's another important thing. Riding a good ski teaches you the techniques on what you need to do in order to ride well. So you learn to ride well easily. I have found going back to older skis, it's then easier to ride them well because you know from the start what you're supposed to be doing. Once you know, you can make allowances for how to ride the older skis better. Knowing, for example, on a JS hull you really, really need to plant the rear corner of the hull hard when you turn fast.

You've got two of the same skis. Maybe one option would be to keep one JS300 and sell the other and get something else. Then you'll have a nice contrast. I found that really nice between my 550 and SJ. If you want a stable cruiser that will be a bit boring until you upgrade it, a 94-95 SN superjet would be good. If you want a bit more handling and fun enjoyment for the same price, perhaps consider a well modified 750 Kawasaki. For a bit more if you want a faster and better handling JS with no work required, the Yamaha FX1 is a great ski. And if you're ready for what I deem to be the best, a first gen sxr or 08+ SJ would be great. My personal preference is to the SJ but both are good skis. Whatever you get, try riding one before you buy.
    Last edited by theVetteman3; 07-11-2018 at 07:32 AM.
    1985 JS550/800 "Pretty Red": Newmiller 800, Rhaas 750 pump conv. [56.3mph gps]
    2009 1100 SJ:
    Kawi 1100 build in progress
    2009 SJ MINT:
    KP steering adaptor, Worx 228 intake [45.8mph gps]
    1987 WJ650:
    6M6, JD Intake Grate, 17/20, cheater pipe [45.2mph gps]
    1994 XiR: 830cc Superstock, PJS side draft, 13/18 swirl [53.7mph gps]
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

Quote Originally Posted by whazguude View Post
    The 300 hull is the hull that was originally copied for the bob hull. It's playful, but heavy.
    Minor point but the first gen BOB was based on a 300sx bottom, not a JS300 like shes got. If I had waaaaay more time and money, I would really like to create a carbon hull JS based ski. Practically speaking very few would even consider something for the price. But I had over 5 grand in my last 550/800 and it was worth every penny. Especially considering the comparative price and performance of a good stock FX1, which go for about 4 grand.
    2009 1100 SJ:
    2009 SJ MINT:
    1987 WJ650:
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by theVetteman3 View Post
    Minor point but the first gen BOB was based on a 300sx bottom, not a JS300 like shes got. If I had waaaaay more time and money, I would really like to create a carbon hull JS based ski. Practically speaking very few would even consider something for the price. But I had over 5 grand in my last 550/800 and it was worth every penny. Especially considering the comparative price and performance of a good stock FX1, which go for about 4 grand.
    It seems you are so knowledgeable.
    I feel like I need you in my life...lol

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Lol.. thanks. Lots of guys out there know this stuff, its just few take the time to put it to words so others can understand it. Happy to help.
    2009 1100 SJ:
    2009 SJ MINT:
    1987 WJ650:
    1998 SXI PRO:
    3DR hull mods [TBD]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information