Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Possible compression issue 96 GSX 787

Hello all,

I have this ski that I flooded on the hose(yeah yeah I know I'm an idiot) the engine was full past the carbs and unfortunately I couldn't work on it for two weeks as I was gone for my job. But when I got back I flipped the Ski upside down, drained the water and then used a combo of wd-40, seafoam, and isopropyl alcohol in it to remove any residual dampness and small amount of rust that may have built up. Today I cranked over the engine with the carbs, spark plugs, and exhaust removed in order to shoot all of that crap out. Then I hooked up a compression tester I borrowed from O'Reilly auto with everything still off and I got; 82 and 75 ish. So.. is it possible that the engine that was a great running rebuild by a shop this past spring actually is completely trashed from having water in it? And if so: how is that possible?

Thanks guys,
    Jasper

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: Possible compression issue 96 GSX 787

If it sat that long with water in it, you are done. Rust has set in to the cyls, rings, and worse, crank bearings.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Can you explain why that is? As soon as I poured all the water out I put 3 different types of oxygen and moisture removing chemicals in theres and turned the motor over by hand until I was sure every MM of the interior was coated in the concoction... now say even if there was rust forming while it sat why would the amount that could have formed be detrimental to the engine? I understand some of the bearings and the cylinder walls becoming slightly scored by the rust after being dissolved by the chemicals. But enough so that the engine would be ruined? I just dont understand.

yes.. the rings are stuck in place, and worse the crank bearings are pitted and will go and take out your bottom end.

dude all you had to do is get it running the same day, and the motor would be saved...

I have sunk plenty of skiis and it really sux but you can stop until it runs, and you can get it on the water and up to temps to get all the water out..

I know, I know "had to get it running" there's only so many hours in the day and I've got a job to keep. But anyway;
    So would the rings being stuck in place cause the lose of compression I'm seeing? The engine has spun freely and easily by hand ever since pouring the water out.

Quote Originally Posted by JMAN1 View Post
    I know, I know "had to get it running" there's only so many hours in the day and I've got a job to keep. But anyway;
    So would the rings being stuck in place cause the lose of compression I'm seeing? The engine has spun freely and easily by hand ever since pouring the water out.
    Because it was immersed in water for two weeks

Alright, thanks for that information. n: so does anyone actually know why?

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

If you have nothing else to lose, try pouring a couple of tablespoons of vinegar in each spark plug hole. I would recommend bringing the crank to a position where both pistons are halfway between the stroke. The vinegar might be enough to break up a little surface corrosion that may have formed on the piston rings, thereby keeping compression from building. After maybe 24 hours, crank the engine with the plugs removed to blow out any remaining vinegar. Pour a small amount 2 stroke oil in the plug holes and retest compression.
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #1
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #2
    99XPL Runs like it's possessed! :

02RX Current project in-work, ready to be assembled.
    A BIG THANKS to Bill O' and Chris at Watercraft Magic for putting together an excellent re-jetting and Prok filter kit for the XPL.
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

sounds like a bad day

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home kcr357's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMAN1 View Post
    Alright, thanks for that information. n: so does anyone actually know why?
    Yes, read post #4.
    How many gerbils could a gerbil jammer jam if a gerbil jammer could jam gerbils?

"You build cheater motor's & still get smoked !!!!"
    "Its not your fault. You just don't understand what you're talking about. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information