Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

Re: Possible compression issue 96 GSX 787

According to SAE International journal. This is believed to be the major factor in corrosion found inside of an engine.

“Corrosion in gasoline engines is generally believed to be due to sulphuric acid formed by the combination of sulphur carried in low-grade fuels and oils with water that enters or is generated in the engine. Much of this trouble occurs in winter and may be traced directly to the action of water that condenses on the inside of the cylinders and crankcase when a cold engine is started. The water destroys the oil-film and comes into direct contact with metal of the pistons, cylinders and other parts, causing them to rust. If this occurs and the lubricating system does not supply more oil to the surfaces immediately upon the restarting of the engine, scored cylinders and pistons are likely to result, or, if the engine is stopped before it is warmed up, condensation and rusting will be rapid and will result in excessive wear.The only completely successful method of dealing with the condensation and rust problem is to provide a lubricating system that will begin to function as soon as the engine is started.”
    What would Chuck Norris do?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Come on Cliff! He wants us to tell him that his dumb a$$ didn't fuk his sh!t up.

Dude, just run it. If you can get it to fire, you'll be good. Until it blows up.

Seriously? You left water in a motor. The bearings rust, the cylinder rusts, and the rings will stick. WTF else do you need to know? You sunk it and left it. You lose. Game over.

But, with your outlook, dump some pb blaster in the spark plug holes, keep turning it over. If the rings come un glued, treat her like the prom queen. Ride her hard till something pops out of her.
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

Quote Originally Posted by whazguude View Post
    Come on Cliff! He wants us to tell him that his dumb a$$ didn't fuk his sh!t up.

Dude, just run it. If you can get it to fire, you'll be good. Until it blows up.

Seriously? You left water in a motor. The bearings rust, the cylinder rusts, and the rings will stick. WTF else do you need to know? You sunk it and left it. You lose. Game over.

But, with your outlook, dump some pb blaster in the spark plug holes, keep turning it over. If the rings come un glued, treat her like the prom queen. Ride her hard till something pops out of her.
    Thanks! I'm glad there's more intelligence elsewhere in this forum!

There is? Certainly not coming from you. You flooded your ski, on a fukking hose, and left it for two weeks.

Then, you ask a question, get the proper answer in the first 4 posts, and ask again.

Yup, I'm the dumb one.
    Last edited by whazguude; 07-09-2018 at 04:26 PM.

Seriously though, @whazguude I needed a good laugh. So I appreciate your humor. Also, I appreciate everyone's advice and taking the time out of their day to provide some much needed knowledge on the subject while I partake in this journey of DIY jet ski repair. My knowledge this far has come hard earned but I will not stay ignorant for long when so much good information is provided to me!

Pull the head and inspect the piston and cylinders. You will get a first hand look at what is fukked. You can probably get it to run, but it will cost you more in the long run if you do.

You will probably need pistons and rings (including wrist pin and bearings), and definitely crank bearings (read: new crank assembly).
    Good luck.

(and seeing as you have a thick skin, you'll get along fine around here.)
    Last edited by whazguude; 07-09-2018 at 04:41 PM.

Whazzy,

I gave my answer because I felt that JMAN was seeking a VERY technical explanation or that the info that was being provided to him wasn't of any value and he could not apply it. Maybe just a noob making a noob mistake? Maybe.

JMAN,

Just DON'T flood your engine and leave it sitting like that for ANY amount of time. You need to get that water out ASAP and the ski started to blow out the remaining water before all of the internal parts rust. Pulling the head like Whazzy suggested and turning the PTO(with the plugs out) by hand to inspect the cylinder walls for scoring is a good start. But we all know with compression readings such as yours that you need a complete engine rebuild(including the crank($400), counter balancer shaft($125) and rotary shaft & bearing($125)) before you can move forward.It is true that your knowledge thus far has been "hard earned". But apply the knowledge and you'll be out on the water grinning from ear to ear rather than cussing and yelling in your garage.

Cliff, Yes thank you that's exactly what I was looking for, I wanted to truly understand the process that went on that causes the failure. While I might not be mechanically adept, I am very technical as I work as a robotic engineer and sideline as a pilot.

As far as my ski goes, yeah I understand clearly now. The debate I'm going through now revolves around the fact that I only paid 1K for it as the previous owner was desperate for cash and while I didn't truly need this ski wanted to help him out. The engine was freshly rebuilt last spring/ summer by a shop. And the hull is in spectacular condition. But now I have put about $200 more into it and now you're saying roughly $650 into it not to mention labor. So I'm unsure of how to proceed. Although the idea of learning something new and then relishing in the success and cool lake water as you suggest sounds spectacular!

What does a shop normally charge for a rebuild?

Glad I could help. But recall that the other responses by the other members also gave you the answers you were seeking. It's water under the bridge at this point as you now understand what has happened and what needs to be done. I feel you should rebuild the engine, if you were going to keep it for awhile. You could save about $300 in labor to disassemble, inspect, and reassemble the motor yourself. A complete rebuild will cost you about $1,500.00. It isn't that difficult to rebuild a Sea Doo 787 motor. You would need a few specialty tools. But the other tools are basic hand tools like metric sockets, ratchet, screw drivers, torque wrench etc. Download the factory repair manual and start reading it as it has tons of info for a rebuild. You could ask questions here and members will answer them to assist you. I own the same make and model Sea Doo you have(albeit modified and it's my avatar floating on Lake Havasu, AZ last summer). But I just finished rebuilding my motor from top to bottom last summer(I've rebuilt this motor 3x and I've owned my '96 GSX since brand new) and it has 9.5 hrs. on it.

So...are you ready to dive in?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home jerrspud's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JMAN1 View Post

What does a shop normally charge for a rebuild?
    Click the link on the bottom of the page...https://www.shopsbt.com/jet-skis/sea...-standard.html
    that's the best price you will probably find
    Jerr
    SeaDoo FAQs
    Kawi FAQs

92 Kawasaki 550SX 89 550PP, 44MM SBN carb, Westcoast exhaust, Mariner head, OceanPro rideplate
    90 Sea-Doo SP Quadra-Fin rideplate, Solas 14x19 prop, Tuned Pipe, 147 RV, Mariner intake manifold , 44MM SBN Carb, K&N performance arrestor, 91 XP hood
    96 Sea-Doo SPX X4 Hull- R&D rideplate, NuJet prop, RAM cup holder, Commercial Tiny Tach
    88 JS550
    pile of parts, but it's all there

Quote Originally Posted by JetDreams
    your finger is the trigger to success...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information