pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Bought a clean 2002 Yamaha XLT800 and have a few general questions?

So I picked this super clean ski up with 82 hours from the original owner with a super nice trailer for $2800 which I did not think was bad in peak summer months. Have a few general questions for the group. What type of oil would you suggest for it? Previous owner used Yamaha oil he said but not sure if there is a better/more cost effective option. Is 87 octance gas ok for it? I did not see a drain plug in the back of the ski, am I missing something? How reliable overall is this model and any major problems? We are using this as a family ski for my wife and I and young children under 5 so going 70mph is not that important to us. Thanks ina dvance.
    2002 Yamaha XLT800

Re: Bought a clean 2002 Yamaha XLT800 and have a few general questions?

Sounds like a good deal to me.
    As for oil, that's a bit of a loaded question. Many opinions. The yamalube is good but pricy, I use Amsoil interceptor oil in my gp800r, as it's designed for power valve motors to keep the sludge out of the valves. And a gallon is about $35 if you a preferred customer. The pennsoil synthetic oil is also good and less costly.
    87 octane is ok, best to use non ethenol fuel if available to you, and it's usually 90/93 octane.
    There are 2 plug on either side in rear. Black in color.
    Should make a good family ski top speed about 50/55. And reliable if maintained.
    First thing I'd do is check and replace the oil lines from the pump to the carbs. They get hard and shrink. Then either break or pull off of carbs. Causing motor failure. Also check for and add if not there a set of wave eater clips on the power valves before they fail. Those are the big weak links to the 800 motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in DE View Post
    Sounds like a good deal to me.
    As for oil, that's a bit of a loaded question. Many opinions. The yamalube is good but pricy, I use Amsoil interceptor oil in my gp800r, as it's designed for power valve motors to keep the sludge out of the valves. And a gallon is about $35 if you a preferred customer. The pennsoil synthetic oil is also good and less costly.
    87 octane is ok, best to use non ethenol fuel if available to you, and it's usually 90/93 octane.
    There are 2 plug on either side in rear. Black in color.
    Should make a good family ski top speed about 50/55. And reliable if maintained.
    First thing I'd do is check and replace the oil lines from the pump to the carbs. They get hard and shrink. Then either break or pull off of carbs. Causing motor failure. Also check for and add if not there a set of wave eater clips on the power valves before they fail. Those are the big weak links to the 800 motor.

Thanks for the info on all of this! I found the drain plugs, they were just tucked away and in a different spot than most seadoos. The ski has been garage kept its whole life and is mint! I checked the oil lines and they all look great to me. How hard is it to do the PV clips and is there a how to somewhere? Where do you suggest buying the clips and the 2 stroke oil from to be most cost effective?

Love the skis so far I will try and get some pics up of it tonight.
    2002 Yamaha XLT800

So long as the oil lines are soft and pliable you should be ok.
    Unfortunately on the 800 you'll have to remove the exhaust manifold and first section up to the rubber coupling to get to the valve tops. There under the 2 little covers down under the edge of the exhaust. The hard part is getting to the center 4 of the 8 bolts to the manifold.
    The clips you can get off eBay cheapest I think sertch "wave eater clips 800" you'll find them. There a single bolt install once the covers come off. You can get a better look at your oil line then also if you remove the last section of the exhaust as well.
    As for oil the Pennzoil you can get at most Walmarts just make sure it meets or exceeds tc-w3. The amzoil you have to sign up as a preferred customer. ($25 a year) then you can buy any of there products at very reduced cost. Last gallon of yamalube cost me $65, amzoil $33.50. just for reference.

So long as the oil lines are soft and pliable you should be ok.
    Unfortunately on the 800 you'll have to remove the exhaust manifold and first section up to the rubber coupling to get to the valve tops. There under the 2 little covers down under the edge of the exhaust. The hard part is getting to the center 4 of the 8 bolts to the manifold.
    The clips you can get off eBay cheapest I think sertch "wave eater clips 800" you'll find them. There a single bolt install once the covers come off. You can get a better look at your oil line then also if you remove the last section of the exhaust as well.
    As for oil the Pennzoil you can get at most Walmarts just make sure it meets or exceeds tc-w3. The amzoil you have to sign up as a preferred customer. ($25 a year) then you can buy any of there products at very reduced cost. Last gallon of yamalube cost me $65, amzoil $33.50. just for reference.

I have an 02 GP800r. It handles my daughter and I. The 800 has great power curve. Mine with the upgrades and tuning will get both of us to about 56/57 mph, GPS.
    Almost bought an 04 xlt800 this spring that had low hrs and garage kept. But passed. My avatar shows it all I'm boat/ski poor. 4 skis 2 boats.

All I really care about on the oil is it is good for the powervalves. I noticed the Yamalube 2W and Penzoil are both syn blend oils. Is syn blend oils fine or do I need full syn oils? If the Penzoil is a good quality oil that seems to be the most cost effective, if not I may stick with the Yamalube off amazon for $36 agallon shipped.
    2002 Yamaha XLT800

Yamalube and Pennzoil are basically the same. There both fine for the power valves. I went to amzoil because it has added detergents to help with the sludge that builds up on top of the valves,and it's a low smoke oil. If you can now get yamalube at that price I'd stick with that. Back when I switched you couldn't get yamalube less then high 50's low 60"s. Yamalube or Pennzoil is fine along with any other oil out there that's rated tc-w3 or better. It does not need to be full synthetic.
    Last edited by Dave in DE; 07-07-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Thread Information