Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: No Cease Please

PWCToday Newbie

No Cease Please

My daughter was riding our 2004 Yamaha XLT800 and she came over towards me to ask something and the ski quit. It had been running all afternoon and just suddenly quit. Then it would not start. Just a single thud. I towed it in. I was assuming it was the battery, but after charging the original and then buying a new one it still does the same thing. I single loud thud/click. After reviewing some other threads, I suspected the starter relay. I checked the fuse. Its good. I pulled the electronics cover and used a screw driver to arc across the starter wire leads. Pretty much the same deal. The starter seems to engage, but the engine does not turn over. So then I suspected that we somehow ceased the engine. So I pulled the spark plugs and intake grate off so I could spin the crank shaft. It spins! I was relieved until I kept spinning. It eventually hits a hard stop in both directions. I'd say it spins at least 360 degrees before it hits the hard stops. I confirmed that both pistons are moving up and down. I'm at a loss for what could be causing this problem? I can't see anything jammed in the intake and it really does rotate pretty easily until the hard stop. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Re: No Cease Please

From the sounds of what you discribe, It may have dropped either the exhaust valve or the pin for the exhaust valve. If you have one of the small inspection camera go in through the plug hole and check the piston tops. Otherwise remove the head and inspect that way.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Dave in DE View Post
    From the sounds of what you discribe, It may have dropped either the exhaust valve or the pin for the exhaust valve. If you have one of the small inspection camera go in through the plug hole and check the piston tops. Otherwise remove the head and inspect that way.
    That sounds bad. But not ceased bad? I took it into the shop. I don't have a scope and don't really trust myself to pull the head off. Maybe it will not be too much labor to get to the exhaust valve? Thanks for the info.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

X 2 on the broken powervalve.

Let us know what they find

Thread Information