• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ferny12345623
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Jul 2017

96 montego. ebox.

hello everyone. I need help installing a new ( new to the ski lol) ebox. I took the old one out. as the CID was bad. I found a great deal on an almost new ebox so I went for it. my problem is, I do not know where all the wires connect too... I took detailed pictures and video but my phone Is now at the bottom of the lake. . I have the repair/service manual but is not that helpful. any assistance would be appreciated. or if you're in the DFW area I would pay for the install...

thanks everyone.
  • Associated98
    PWCToday Guru
    • May 2014

Re: 96 montego. ebox.

Before you do any ripping and tearing removing the old box, double tripple quadruple check that you bought the correct box. I might even recommend just swapping the cdi from the box you just bought. It isnt that terribly hard and ensures you have the correct box.

Black wire from battery goes to starter MOUNT, long red wire (on the ebox) with terminal on it goes to the little lug on the starter.

All the plugs from the stater/magneto housing only fit their respective connectors on the side of the sealed part of the box.

Almost everything harness wise should match up with its respective connector. The connectors are all the same but match the color on the wires. The number of wires per connector vary, again match em up. This should connect your start/stop/kill switch.

All that should be left is the bildge pump which should be in the general area of the actual bildge pump and again, match thr connector/wire color.

Then just plug in your spark plug wires and positive battery terminal and done. If the inside of the box is spaghettied than that could change things..
    Last edited by Associated98; 07-06-2018, 01:41 AM.
    Own:
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    95' Daytona
    Owned:
    94' Montego (my first) sold
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Daytona (the one that got away...) sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 clean and beautiful. You will be missed. :'(
    97' Daytona 1000 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 parted out
    99' TS770R sold
    99' TS1100R partially parted/sold

Comment

• Ferny12345623
      PWCToday Newbie
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Associated98 View Post
      Before you do any ripping and tearing removing the old box, double tripple quadruple check that you bought the correct box. I might even recommend just swapping the cdi from the box you just bought. It isnt that terribly hard and ensures you have the correct box.

Black wire from battery goes to starter MOUNT, long red wire (on the ebox) with terminal on it goes to the little lug on the starter.

All the plugs from the stater/magneto housing only fit their respective connectors on the side of the sealed part of the box.

Almost everything harness wise should match up with its respective connector. The connectors are all the same but match the color on the wires. The number of wires per connector vary, again match em up. This should connect your start/stop/kill switch.

All that should be left is the bildge pump which should be in the general area of the actual bildge pump and again, match thr connector/wire color.

Then just plug in your spark plug wires and positive battery terminal and done. If the inside of the box is spaghettied than that could change things..
      thanks for the response. I do not want to open the new ebox and replace the CDI. this ebox look brand new to honest. maybe ill jut buy a CDI. I will follow you directions when I get home form work. hopefully its a match

Comment

• Ferny12345623
        PWCToday Newbie
        • Jul 2017

Well I re-wired everything. As you stated they all fit one way with the exception of the bilge pump. I think on this ski it was replaced. I get no spark at the spark plugs. I also took the time to install a new to the ski stator. But still get no spark. Not sure what to do next. Maybe a a flywheel? I been working on this for hours now. I am about to give up to be honest. Anything else you guys my suggest?

Comment

• Associated98
          PWCToday Guru
          • May 2014

Make sure the start/kill switch is working properly. This could be a source of no spark. Make sure you are using new, properly gapped spark plugs. Also make sure to boots are actualy touching the spark plug wire. Temp. Sensor is another thing to check. It should be closed all the time until it gets to hot and opens. If its open all the time its bad. Lastly is the fly wheel although unlikely.
          Own:
          98' TS1000R
          97' Daytona 1000
          95' Daytona
          Owned:
          94' Montego (my first) sold
          95' Daytona sold
          95' Daytona parted out
          95' Barracuda sold
          96' Montego sold
          96' Daytona (the one that got away...) sold
          96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
          97' Daytona 1000 clean and beautiful. You will be missed. :'(
          97' Daytona 1000 sold
          97' Daytona 1000 sold
          97' Daytona 1000 sold
          97' Daytona 1000 parted out
          99' TS770R sold
          99' TS1100R partially parted/sold

Comment

• Ferny12345623
            PWCToday Newbie
            • Jul 2017

Make sure the start/kill switch is working properly. This could be a source of no spark. Make sure you are using new, properly gapped spark plugs. Also make sure to boots are actualy touching the spark plug wire. Temp. Sensor is another thing to check. It should be closed all the time until it gets to hot and opens. If its open all the time its bad. Lastly is the fly wheel although unlikely.
            well I checked the start switch, seems to checkout. under 1 Ω like the manual states..( if I read it correct of course). new plugs, basically rewired the entire ebox with working parts, all readings per the service manual. still no spark. new boots for the plugs..... I am about ready to give up.

Comment

Working...
            X