Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Need Help! 1997 Seadoo XP Lost Coolant Hose Yesterday

(I apologize if this is in the wrong section, please move if needed)

Ladies and Gents,

Picked up a very nice shape '97 Seadoo XP last fall. Replaced fuel lines and rebuilt carbs over the winter. Went out for the first water test yesterday and she ran well. Parked it for a bit, went back out and the ski started loosing power. I turned to limp back to shore and the long beep for overheating started and it pulled the tether. Ski was steaming.

Got towed into shore and went home. Come to find out, the coolant hose on the head disconnected. The hull had some water in it from the hose dumping into the engine bay. Hot motor melted the pisser hose off the exhaust. I drained the hull and threw the trickle charger on the battery for a little while.

Went to try and fire it up late last night, when I connected the tether, it gave a single long loud beep. Unplugged. Connected the tether again, one long single beep. Unplugged. Connected a third time and it gave two short double beeps. Tried to fire it up and it was acting like the battery was dead and barely turning the motor over. I am going to throw the regular battery charger on it later today. I am fearing the worst but need some opinions from the PWC faithful.

#1. When I bought the ski, it never beeped when the tether was connected but ran fine. Is the double beep on connection normal? I thought it was but it didn't do it before.
    #2. Are there other things I should do before trying to fire it up again? Like blow out the coolant system because there was 6" of water in the hull?
    #3. If the battery won't turn the motor over, I should assume it's seized? I would like to throw the compression tester on it but if it won't turn over, I am going to assume it's fried and I can't test anyway.

Thanks for any help. I will try to get it going after work today...hopefully not have to make a cheap craigslist ad tonight.

-Shane

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: Need Help! 1997 Seadoo XP Lost Coolant Hose Yesterday

2 short beeps is normal. Usually one long beep (at first, when putting tether on) is the DESS key not being read properly.

Remove PTO cover, and try to turn engine by hand. Sounds like you may have gotten it hot enough to do engine damage.

Be careful, and DO NOT charge the battery with it hooked up. Remove one battery cable when charging to avoid damage to the MPEM.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Need Help! 1997 Seadoo XP Lost Coolant Hose Yesterday

Thanks for the reply. I will try to spin the motor by hand. I am assuming the cover is the accordion black piece that has two hose clamps on each end.

Good tip on the battery charging.

-Shane

Thread Information