Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Frequent Poster

Impeller, cone, nozzle

Here is a question. In general.

Say you have modified engine, stock pump with aftermarket impeller and have the ski dialed.

Will you gain or lose if you bore the nozzle and put the correct impeller on to meet your old rpm?

What about smaller nozzle, smaller impeller with the same rpm?

Or, the same theory but add pump cones in the mix?

Im just curious if anybody has done testing like this. Im not ready to get that deep. Thinking about ideas tho.
    96 750ss- Custom paint, 750bp bottom end, 800sxr top end, ada girtle head, Blackjack i40 carbs/ported intake, VF3 reeds, tau ceti flame arrestors, tbm charging flywheel, advent, coffman rocket pipe, jd scoop grate, jd ride plate, modified steering,
    JW porting work. With lots more bs mods.

97 xp- parting out/open to trades

93 750ss- hull

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: Impeller, cone, nozzle

Exit nozzle size will change pump pressure, and depending on impeller choice (They work together) will increase or decrease pump pressure.

Typically a larger nozzle will increase thrust and bottom end. A smaller nozzle increases pressure, and top end.

Pump cones either short or long give similar results, as they change the volume in the nozzle.

We have done lots of testing on may applications and find some like a really big nozzle, and some to not.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Wet Wolf's Avatar

Putting on a larger nozzle, or a smaller pitched prop will gain you rpm. You might lose a little top end, but thats kind of a coin toss and you don't know until you try it. what you lose due to the change, you might get back just because you gain a couple hundred rpm. but you will get better low end and midrange with the larger nozzle or smaller prop.

Bruce Wolford (509) 280-5444 - Pump Performance
    http://www.wetwolf.com

Frequent Poster

But would boring the nozzle, and adding a steeper impeller gain that pressure back? Or will boring a nozzle always lose pressure with no way to gain it back? I assume the mfg designed everything to work together on each particular ski tho.

Boring a nozzle, and putting a pump cone in to lower the rpm back down to where you were.. I assume in general this would be zero gain/loss. What about on the extreme side of things?
    96 750ss- Custom paint, 750bp bottom end, 800sxr top end, ada girtle head, Blackjack i40 carbs/ported intake, VF3 reeds, tau ceti flame arrestors, tbm charging flywheel, advent, coffman rocket pipe, jd scoop grate, jd ride plate, modified steering,
    JW porting work. With lots more bs mods.

97 xp- parting out/open to trades

93 750ss- hull

Thread Information