Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Burning up pumps left and right.....

So I have a 96 xp, a few weeks ago the slipping clutch feel happened and I knew the wear ring was toast, no big deal.

I bought a pump pump rebuild kit, with wear ring and an solac xo prop to complement.....

rebuilt the pump the first time and a seal failed causing loss in oil and subsequently the pump locked up.....

bought a new pump due to a worn spot and I cannot machine the surface. The pump was a brand new latest Desing. Well installed the pump with the xo prop and after 3~4 HRs of riding the pump failed again, this time it failed by getting so hot that it actually melted the pump and moved the center aluminum secstion about a 1/4in forward.....

i do do not know what I am doing wrong, these pumps have been rebuilt to the manuals spec and I am about fed up

Re: Burning up pumps left and right.....

Have a Pro rebuild it:

Impros, Watcon, JetManiac...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Are you putting the front seal spring side in or out?
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Are you putting the front seal spring side in or out?
    First one I put spring in cause thatís what made sense to me,

Second was installed from the manufacture with spring out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears to me that I keep having failure on the thrust washer/bearing side.... I lose the bearing then it trashes the rest of the pump.... i am honestly at a loss

Chinky chank pump ? Get a bronze pump , that's good , fix it , they are pretty cheap now , used one , I have plenty of them to sell , those pumps have three different thrust bearings with different thicknesses , check for correct clearence with thrust cone installed , I fix a bunch of these pumps , basic stuff

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic racing View Post
    Chinky chank pump ? Get a bronze pump , that's good , fix it , they are pretty cheap now , used one , I have plenty of them to sell , those pumps have three different thrust bearings with different thicknesses , check for correct clearence with thrust cone installed , I fix a bunch of these pumps , basic stuff
    Just got one from a friend with all good bearings and shaft, so Iíll be using it and replacing the front oil seal. So much for one kit that services them...

Also just talked with the owner of Watcon and he told me everything about how I am rebuilding them is correct with following the manual and what not.... except for how I tighten the prop on, he told me to assemble it vertically with the shaft in the vice so there is no chance of the thrust bearing moving out of position and this explains a lot due to the fact that I have had more movement (forward and aft) than I have ever felt comfortable about.... He says he is 99% sure thatís where I have gone wrong and thatís where I have been pinching the thrust bearing and it causes the failures that I have been having, and since two for two have been thrust bearing failures.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bionic racing View Post
    Hi again Wondering if you have one of those as a back up for my 93 WRB 650 VXR please? I'll try to PM you too

This is how I installed the seal

This is how the new pump came

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I always install the seal as in the bronze pump pic, spring in. I've seen too many letting water in with the spring side out.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information