1990 SuperJet 650 Won't Start When Warm HELP!
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1990 SuperJet 650 Won't Start When Warm HELP!

Hey Guys. I have a 1990 SuperJet. Motor wise, it is stock. Has an upgraded ride plate, and some other small things from previous owner. Have had it for about 10 years, and it has always given us no issues. It generally gets used for about 10 days out of the year in Lake George, NY. Last year, it started having some issues. Starts great cold, and runs like a tank for however long you keep it running. If you let it shut off when it is warm, it WILL NOT start again. Let it cool down for 10-20 minutes, and she fires back up again like normal, and will run until you shut her down. So far, I have rebuilt the carb. Genuine Mikuni Kit. Replaced Needle and Seat, Main and Pilot Jets. The CDI was rebuilt by JSS as well.

1.5 Needle & Seat
    45psi Pop-Off
    115 Main Jet
    120 Pilot Jet

I'm going down to test spark again in a bit. Going to do a cold and hot compression test as well. I am thinking that this is a spark issue. Maybe stator? I cleaned out the Start/Stop Switch last year as well. Somebody give me a direction to go in please. I'm trying not to throw a bunch of money into a random issue. I love the ski, and I just want to be able to run it on the lake!

Re: 1990 SuperJet 650 Won't Start When Warm HELP!

When you try to Start it warm, Does the Relay click? Does the Starter turn? Does the Bendix engage? Will the Flywheel/crankshaft turn?

Where in the starting sequence does it stop?
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 06-29-2018 at 02:30 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Just did a 23 minute rde. I let it come down to idle, and it killed itself. Wouldnt restart. Compression on both cylinders cold was 150, and after the 23 minute ride, both were 145.

So basically, once warm, it tuns over like normal. Everything spins, just like it would if it was going to run. It just doesnt fire. Not even a little bit. Just cranks like of you pulled both plug wires.

Might be a bad Regulator/Rectifier...test it cold and test it warm with an ohm-meter

Check all the Stator coils too.
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 06-29-2018 at 05:37 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

Okay, I lied. I had the COIL rebuilt by JSS. The CDI is still old. Ignition coil of stator ohms out right and makes 36v cranking. I think it’s the CDI. Something went and now it won’t start at all. Gonna order a CDI.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Did you ohm out the stator when it is warm?
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Newbie

I couldn’t ohm it out warm because it wont start now. Getting absolutely no spark at all. Whatever the issue was, it finally broke all the way instead of being temperature related. CDI box is on order, should be here next week. Slapping myself for confusing the CDI and coil.

Quote Originally Posted by NHuott View Post
    I couldn’t ohm it out warm because it wont start now. Getting absolutely no spark at all. Whatever the issue was, it finally broke all the way instead of being temperature related. CDI box is on order, should be here next week. Slapping myself for confusing the CDI and coil.
    Were you able to fix your ski I'm having a similar problem I have already replaced the cdi and coil. Next I'm replacing the rectifier then the stator.
    1990 550 sx sbn 44 PJS head coffmans half pipe Coffmans water box solas 14-19 prop bored out pump nozzel wet wolfe cone jetnetics aluminium flywheel and shredmaster surf plate
    1995 FX1 milled head ss impeller shredmaster ride plate and toploader grate

Need a good 550 topend

Thread Information