Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Proper Routing for Dual Cooled 650SX

So I recently acquired a 1988 650SX which I am in the process of restoring. The last owner to get this thing in the water made several performance upgrades to this ski (SBN 44 carb, West Coast pipe) including switching it over to dual cooling. My question is what is the proper way to run the lines for this dual cooled setup?

I have two lines coming from the pump, 2 inlets on the exhaust manifold, a second "T" outlet tapped into the cylinder head which was connected directly to a 2nd pisser with a flow restrictor on that line, and the
    exhaust pipe has 3 inlets. How should I go about plumbing this together?

I've read that some people use one inlet to cool the pipe and the other to cool the manifold/engine but I wanted to get another opinion before hooking it up in this manner.
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

Re: Proper Routing for Dual Cooled 650SX

I like to run one to the manifold -> head -> water outlet and then one directly to the pipe -> water outlet, that way I know what "circuit" is cooled and what isn't if something happened

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home fastgtfairlane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rushford_Ripper View Post
    I like to run one to the manifold -> head -> water outlet and then one directly to the pipe -> water outlet, that way I know what "circuit" is cooled and what isn't if something happened
    i run mine the same way on the x2. in fact i just put a 44mm carb and westcoast pipe on mine. i got another pump that was already tapped for dual cooling. my stock exhaust manifold only has one inlet so one went to the engine and one to the back of the pipe. you could also get a tee so you could connect one line to both inlets on the exhaust manifold, tee the 2 outlets on the head together to one pisser to balance cooling on both cylinders. run the other line to the back of the head pipe, out the front with another tee with one end to a bypass and the other to the last fitting on the stinger of the pipe.
    91 440; PJS Viper 7000, jetsport exhaust mani, factory full pipe, coffman waterbox,solas 17*, jetco worked 440 pump, ocean pro nozzles. shredmaster ocean rideplate and grate combo, wide tray, footholds, deep strake mod, driveshaft fill,650sx quick turn

build thread part 1: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=331343
    build thread part 2: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=364872
    build thread part 3: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=396154

There was a sketch on here years ago,,, I run a WC pipe & exh mani , if I remember correctly I drilled & tapped w/1/8" pipe tap the WC exh mani on both sides, plugged the middle port, then ran those lines ( keeping them equal in length ) to the pump line coming through the transom on the left side. I used a plastic Y connector to make the connection.

I have an OP 25cc head that I also had to pipe tap ( i believe ?? ) to balance the theoretical flow on each side and ran 1 those to the WC pipe. The other to the pisser. If you need some clarification PM me and I will dbl check.
    Honestly ... I'm old and remembering what I did a decade ago or more ... might be questionable. if you do some " searches " that diagram may reveal itself.

Thread Information