Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Buying advice

PWCToday Newbie

Buying advice

Hi everybody.

Second post here after lurking for about a week and finally made an account a couple days ago.

Anyways, I am looking at a 1989 650sx tonight that is for sale for $2250 CAD (no trailer). It has a few mods (Factory pipe exhaust, westcoast head) but I am more concerned with whether it runs right instead of the aftermarket parts.

Looking for some buying advice on these things. They are rare to find up here in Canada, and seem relatively cheap to fix. Here are a couple pictures and a short video of it running on the stand.

I plan to do a compression test (is there a guide anywhere here on how to do one?) I've done compression tests on cars before and some ignition systems are picky about whether the plugs are grounded during the test. Some other cars I have tested have no issues removing the plugs and leaving the wires disconnected. I don't want to end up testing the compression, going to start the ski and find out I've fried the coil or some other ignition part.

Any other tips on what I should look for? Are any spots on the hull prone to leaks? it has some screw in the handlebar hinge that I'll take a closer look at. Hopefully the part that the screw has replaced isn't too hard to find nor expensive.

Thanks!

Video of the ski running on the stand:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w3...UtHsWOwAxdSzIr
    Attached Images Attached Images

PWCToday Regular

Re: Buying advice

That seems pricey. I don't know the Canadian market but surely thats 750 SXI territory price wise.

PWCToday Newbie

Ended up passing on it. It leaked water into the hull where the factory pipe exited the hull, it was in OK condition (not good) and the guy wasnít budging on his price.

Needed some good TLC to get it back to a saleable condition. Iíll see if he drops his price later in the season otherwise Iíll wait for another one.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

So roughly $1700 USD, with those kinds of mods, sbn44 carb, head, pipe, probably some other goodies, I'd say its the average price what these are selling for now a days around me. I sold a clean stocker for $950...

Thread Information