Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1996 Wave raider 1100 won't start

Hi, I am new to the forum and have a question:
    My uncle just gave me an 1996 Wave Raider 1100. It has been sat since 2009. I just installed a brand new battery and it will not start when I press the start button, all I hear is a single metallic click every time I press the start button. What could it be a problem? Starter relay (solenoid) or the starter?

Thank in advance for your advice.
    Tony

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 1996 Wave raider 1100 won't start

If you hear the click [coming from the electronics box mounted on the flywheel side of the engine that is the solenoid so would expect that either the starter is frozen or the bendix. After sitting 9 years, probably a buildup of rust from moisture. I would pull the starter and test it with direct leads from the battery outside of the ski first. If it turns then you will have to dismantle the flywheel cover to get a the bendix. This is not a fun job on the raider.

PWCToday Newbie

If the starter is frozen, dose the flywheel turn? I tried to turn the flywheel and it turn freely

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ugmw177 View Post
    If you hear the click [coming from the electronics box mounted on the flywheel side of the engine that is the solenoid so would expect that either the starter is frozen or the bendix. After sitting 9 years, probably a buildup of rust from moisture. I would pull the starter and test it with direct leads from the battery outside of the ski first. If it turns then you will have to dismantle the flywheel cover to get a the bendix. This is not a fun job on the raider.
    If the starter is frozen, dose the flywheel turn? I tried to turn the flywheel and it turn freely

PWCToday Newbie

First question, how did you turn the flywheel? Did you remove the front engine cover where the flywheel is located?

Second, if the bendix teeth are not meshed [engaged] in the flywheel like when you are cranking the starter, the engine is free to turn.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ugmw177 View Post
    First question, how did you turn the flywheel? Did you remove the front engine cover where the flywheel is located?

Second, if the bendix teeth are not meshed [engaged] in the flywheel like when you are cranking the starter, the engine is free to turn.
    in the back, I remove the cover and turn

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Tap on the starter with something you may get lucky.

Thread Information