Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

It wants to start by itself

Hi all,
    It's been a while since I was online...

So my buddy calls me and says after his wife went out for a ride last week, his 95 GTX was running awesome and she came back parked it on the lift, left the lanyard plugged in thinking someeone was going back out to ride shortly.

She came back out a little later to hear a "whirring clicking" noise and she pulled the lanyard and it didn't stop, she hit the start stop switch and it fired up, they somehow got it stopped but now the starter was still cranking.
    They ended up disconnecting the battery to get the starter to stop.

This is where I come in, ( I had rebuilt their carbs and fixed a leaking rear control cable seal for them recently) anyway they brought it over and said they had tried to replace the solenoid because they searched "why does my seadoo start by itself" and it had been mentioned to try that.

So after doing my own research...I have systematically unplugged each external point in the starting system starting with the deadman and tried connecting the battery.
    (They call it the DESS, but this ski doesn't have one as far as I know, there is no chip and only 2 wires coming from the switch, not 3 or 4, so I think it's just a simple deadman.)
    Every time, the starter engages the second I touch the ground wire to the battery.

One at a time I unplugged deadman, the 2 different connections going up the column to the start stop, even the guages, I have the box out with the solenoid/coil and mpem and looking it over, the solenoid is brand new so I am ruling that out too because both solenoids are acting the same.

I am kinda leaning to the mpem but I don't want to charge in there and start poking around without running it past the collective minds here.
    I am not real familiar with mpems and have read that you can screw them up just testing them.
    A couple other symptoms my friend mentioned was that ever since they bought the ski last year there is no beeping when you plug the lanyard in and the guages are dead which is kinda odd for everything to be dead. I did check as best I could for breaks crimps or wear spot in the wiring and double checked all the connectors.
    Sorry for the long read, I wanted to be thorough.
    Thanks for reading, and any advice is most appreciated.

Resident Guru

Re: It wants to start by itself

Your ski does not have a DESS.

The module does not control starter. It only powers up ignition. You have either welded the contacts on solenoid, or have something wired wrong causing solenoid to be powered. If you disconnect the two wire plug from solenoid, then starter should not be running. If it is the solenoid contacts are welded. This is usually caused from someone continually cranking until the solenoid gets fried.
    Last edited by Seadoo timebomb; 06-24-2018 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seadoo timebomb View Post
    Your ski does not have a DESS.

The module does not control starter. It only powers up ignition. You have either welded the contacts on solenoid, or have something wired wrong causing solenoid to be powered. If you disconnect the two wire plug from solenoid, then starter should not be running. If it is the solenoid contacts are welded. This is usually caused from someone continually cranking until the solenoid gets fried.
    Thank you for the reply timebomb,
    I didn't think it had a dess....
    ...on the solenoid, they replaced it with a brand new one and as soon as they connected the battery the starter started cranking again just as the old one. that's when they called me.
    That is my buddies story and I have no idea if he did any other poking around before calling me. I did ask and he said he only touched the solenoid.
    I can't imagine the new solenoid being bad too but it's possible.

Hmmm

Resident Guru

With starter cable disconnected, confirm that both studs on solenoid have 12 volts. It could be the start stop button is stuck. Never seen it before, but anything is possible.

Its a long shot but make sure there are not any bare wires crossed and shorted together from the start stop button to key back to electrical box. Its a lot to disassemble so can be diagnosed, but one more thing to eliminate.

Those wires should all be in jackets, but look closely where they come thru the steering down into the hull. Something between the key switch and start stop button, and maybe going in to the grey box you may find crossed shorted bare wires. It is possible the where the wires actually go thru the electrical box are shorted together there. I am trying to think of anything else that might cause this.

The 95 GTX was the best of those early model hulls. Motor had enough power to keep ski planted in water and enough speed for longer rides.
    Last edited by Seadoo timebomb; 06-25-2018 at 10:43 PM.

Thanks timebomb I will double check the solenoid tomorrow and meticulously check/test all the wiring for any anomalies.
    As I mentioned in the OP I did unplug the 2 start/stop connections and touch the ground to the battery and it did crank over with each unplugged one at a time and both at the same time.
    I thought that would eliminate the start/stop switch as a suspect.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cleatusjo's Avatar

Def a nice ski. Had a 95 GTS single 38, 580.7. Topped at 37 mph. Hull like a boat.

Edit: I believe mine was hand laid fiberglass.
    Last edited by Cleatusjo; 06-26-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    '94 Kaw TS
    '93 Kaw TS
    02' Kaw STX-R

Ok so... first set of tests.....
    with everything disconnected, deadman, start/ stop, guages, every connection going toward> the mpem.....
    I pulled the 2 wire plug going from the mpem to the solenoid, touched the ground to the battery and the starter did not crank, plugged the connection back in, touched the battery again...cranks the starter. (I did notice the wires had been spliced really close to the plug!!!)
    I disconnected the main power to the mpem and the plug to the base of the solenoid so no power could run through it ...
    I then jumped across the solenoid posts and the starter cranked so I know the solenoid is not the issue nor any of the other switches themselves.
    Now I am going to go through 1 by 1 and checking every wire to each connection for continuity and check the switches to be sure they are doing their job.

Honestly, I am leaning towards the mpem, something tells me that when they left the lanyard plugged in for who knows how long, it may have overheated the unit but it still may be two wires that got hot and fused together and are sending the start signal.

back later with an update.

Well, All the switches work, wires tested good and appear to be in good shape. I did find the grounding post and wires connected to it had a lot of corrosion which probably explains why the guages are all dead.
    I looked up the ohms specs and tested the mpem and I got some whaky numbers on the yellow with red tracer wire which is the circuit going from the start stop through the mpem to the solenoid.

Gotta give my buddy the bad news now.... his ski is torn completely apart and its gonna cost coin. The proverbial "hole in the water to throw some money into" LOL

Resident Guru

Brand new replacement modules retail about $200. If ski is still in good condition, would be worth keeping it going.

What is troubling is if ski was being riden while starter was engaged. That can get messy.
    Last edited by Seadoo timebomb; 06-27-2018 at 12:09 AM.

Just a follow up for anyone in the future that is experiencing similar issues that I was having...
    When I searched the web for this issue I found many similar threads but couldn't find a definitive result from the persons starting the thread, many didn't return and tell how they resolved the issue so I hope this helps someone in the future.

I did order a new mpem, it came yesterday and I installed it and plugged everything back together.

While hooking up the battery nothing happened, just what I was hoping for!
    The starter did not start cranking. I plugged the lanyard in and it started beeping, dash came to life and I hit the start switch and she cranked over and stopped when I released.(i had the spark plug wires off so it wouldnt start during the test)
    Everything is back to working properly and the ski is ready to get back on the water!

The mpem was the culprit in this situation.

I tested everything in the system to and from the mpem and then started unplugging each system connection until I found the one that stopped cranking the starter which turned out to be the plug going to the bottom of the solenoid which carries the yellow wire with red tracer coming from the start stop switch, goes through the mpem and out to the solenoid sending the signal to the starter.

Important Notes;
    I did find that someone had replaced the 5 amp fuse with a 15amp, (not very wise!!!)
    There was tons of corrosion on the grounding plate and every connection and obvious signs of water and rust stains inside the box.
    Two of the sealed threaded caps have gone missing and no wires were routed through them into the mpem box/cover.(Easy passage for "mayhem" to get in.)
    The old mpem had handy little rubber waterproof fuse covers and extra fuse compartment storage but the new mpem fuse ports were molded closer together so I was unable to reuse the covers, not sure they were of much help considering the cover was not sealed from the missing threaded caps.

Anyway, hope this info comes in handy,

Thanks for the help guys!

Thread Information