Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

New Member - PWC is in my future - need some guidance

Hello everyone

I am looking at purchasing a used PWC for my family and would like to get your input on the watercraft I am looking at. This will be our first PWC. Background about me: I would consider myself VERY skilled in working on engines (Motocross specifically, 2 and 4 strokes). So, the labor and service side does not scare me...its therapeutic for me. Family Mechanic!

I found a 2012 Yamaha VX1100 Sport with 280 hours on it. I went to look at it today and while it could use some cosmetic upgrades, mechanically, it looks and sounds solid. I did a compression test on all 4 cylinders, each one measured around 110 PSI. HOWEVER, I forgot to hold open the throttle when I did this. Not sure if that would affect the PSI or not. Each cylinder was almost identical on the PSI. Is that PSI ok? I have read that around 300 hours is about the mark to have the top end replaced. Is that correct?

This PWC will mostly be used in fresh water.

It doesn't have reverse, but I can add that later. There looks like there was some work done on the underside of the watercraft, but the work seems like in great condition and I almost did not notice it. Title is included.

It includes a fully working trailer for $2,850. Is this a good deal??? I still need to take it out on the water before we finalize the deal.

I see that a full top end will run about $450 in parts, plus my labor. That will most likely be done early winter when the water gets too cold to ride.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: New Member - PWC is in my future - need some guidance

Bumb.....

I am suppose to go take it for spin tomorrow morning.

In my opinion you can't beat mid nineties skis.
    1992 X2 - 44 mph on gps at 4100' elevation
    1992 X2 - 750 build in process
    1994 XIR - 1100 triple build in process
    1995 WaveBlaster - 47 mph on gps at 4100' elevation
    2000 SuperJet - stock
    1998 XL 1200 with a Shuttle Craft

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by oddballs41 View Post
    In my opinion you can't beat mid nineties skis.
    As in 95-97? What about the hours and compression on this one? I know a lot MX bikes but not PWCs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure of compression on the four strokes. I stick to two strokes on land, water, and snow. I like them for the simple fact that they are simple and dont cost much to operate or rebuild. I bet you could find what compression is online.
    1992 X2 - 44 mph on gps at 4100' elevation
    1992 X2 - 750 build in process
    1994 XIR - 1100 triple build in process
    1995 WaveBlaster - 47 mph on gps at 4100' elevation
    2000 SuperJet - stock
    1998 XL 1200 with a Shuttle Craft

PWCToday Newbie

Good deal.

Anyone with 4stroke and Yamaha VX 1100 engine experience who can provide some guidance? Trying to decide if this is a deal or if I should walk away because it could be a maintenance nightmare because of the hours.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pretty new to 4-strokes here, but have owned a couple 2-strokes in the past. what I CAN tell you is?, BEFORE you make a test run on water ?, do the compression test with the throttle OPEN !. 280 hours seems like a lot of hours to me ?, then again, what do I know ?, like I said, I am new to 4-strokes .i'd almost bet, with that many hours ?, it's do a top end rebuild. my main concern here ?, you said your thinking of this jet ski with your family in mind right ?, well, I must say, your not going to like that ski for you and your family to all ride at once !..lol. its just not made to carry 3 people from what I know of them ?. you deff need a 3 seater for you and your family to ride together. as for the price ?, seems a tad high to me with that many hours ?. I purchased my 2015 Yamaha fx ho cruiser brand new, love it !. 180 hp, 3 seater, 4-stroke, bad to the bone. purchased my triton trailer separate, all said and done, right around 16k to bring it home after taxes. has about 14 hrs on it so far ? ( been really busy lately..lol ). sooooooooooo..before you rush out and buy a used ski ?, you may want to re-think your choices here . oh..and welcome to the forums .

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

The fact that your test obtained exactly equal numbers for all cylinders indicates that the engine is in good condition (but might have wear from the high hours) and you need to retest with the correct procedure to get valid numbers. The compression ratio is around 11.5 to 1 so you should get about 165 PSI at sea level.

300 hours is around the time that a lot of these begin needing rebuilds. It largely depends on how it was ridden. PWCs spend a lot of their lives at WOT so needing internal work at 300 hours is common (especially if it was a rental) but plenty of these that were babied go well over 1000 hours without a problem.

Since you are good mechanically don't be afraid of buying a ski needing some work. If you can get a low price for something that requires wrenching you could consider it a better deal than a much higher priced one that is in very good condition. Most decent four strokes run $4000+ now.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday Newbie

IMO, go with the mid-90s 2-strokes (Wave Ventures are great and family friendly). Lighter, easier to work on and cheaper than 4-strokes.

Thread Information