User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

2001 GP1200R Starter removal

What parts of the exhaust have to come out to pull the starter motor? how difficult is the process? thanks!

Re: 2001 GP1200R Starter removal

Yikes!!! No reply's???

Iíll take a stab at this having worked on similar models.
    You can remove the majority of the exhaust thatís in your way in 2 sections. First, Iíd remove the 4 bolts that hold the pipe to the exhaust manifold. Theyíre the 4 bolts facing up on the left side of the engine. 12 or 14 mm if I recall correctly. Second, remove the 2 bolts that support the pipe to the front of the engine. Third, loosen the 2 pairs of hose clamps on the rubber exhaust couplers on the right side of the engine. Then, remove 1 or 2 water lines and these 2 large sections should be able to come out in one piece. If this doesnít give you access to the starter, youíll have to remove the back section of the pipe that connects to the water box. I believe thatís held on with 1 bracket and then hose clamped to the water box/ muffler. If you need to remove this section, be careful not to damage the sensor at the end of the pipe. At this point you should have access to the starter. The 2 bolts to remove it face aft. There may be enough slack in the starter wire to remove the starter from the engine and then remove the wire. The starter may not want to come out in which case you want to squirt some wd-40 or similar where starter goes into the engine case, let it soak in, and gently tap the starter from the front. The biggest danger here is if the nose of the starter breaks off and stays with the engine. Probably 3-4 hour job with a fair amount of swear words. If anyone else has more recent experience, please chime in and correct me. Good luck and let us know how you do!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabe, thanks for the reply, I got lucky, I pulled the starter last night, I was able to reach under the exhaust manifold and unbolt, a little bit of PB-Blaster and mini pry bars and came right out, NO exhaust removal needed!

Thread Information