Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Regular

Ideas for freestyle build

I知 looking to do a freestyle build sometime next winter and I知 just not sure which route to take.

Kawasaki: my original idea was to find a 300sx and cut up the hull then glass in either a 750 pump tunnel or try and get my hands on a 144 pump. Rocker the nose and shorten up the hull then drop in a 750 bored out to close to 800 and stroker crank. Ported with some massive carbs and pipe. And try to do some other things like either total loss or lightened flywheel to get some more bottom end out of it. This is close to what my 750 stand up has in it now and it pulls hard but I知 not sure how the bottom end would be for this build. I知 thinking with the right porting the motor would hit just as hard as a 701 or 760.

Yamaha: another idea would be to find either a square nose or fx1 and do some similar things here. Change up the hull and boost up engine to try and get an assload of bottom end. That being said I知 not a Yamaha person when it comes to skis. All I致e ever known is kawi so doing this way would definitely be a new experience

I知 honestly not seeing any advantages going either way. Both are gonna be a ton of work and gonna need some serious upgrades. Let me know what you guys think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Ideas for freestyle build

first decision u have to make.....u want to spend time + labor + money....or just money ?

cause in the end when its all done the money spent will be the same........
    Last edited by orangefinger; 06-18-2018 at 09:54 PM.
    KELLYHIEKE.ROCKS NEW WEBSITE CHECK IT OUT - FEMALE AMATEUR FREESTYLE

HURRICANE ECLIPSE TPE 900CC P&P Performance

94 Blaster "KAW 1100cc"

650 SC

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by orangefinger View Post
    first decision u have to make.....u want to spend time + labor + money....or just money ?

cause in the end when its all done the money spent will be the same........

Ik this build is gonna take some crazy time and work just to get the hull to anything even remotely in the realm of 吐reestyle so either way

to be honest most people have gone thru the process of customizing a stock hull and in the end spent same amount of money as just buying a cheap hull ...

the difference is that u can now get aftermarket hulls sooo much cheaper...and u will still have to customize and fix enough to get all components in and working, furthermore your resale value will be higher instead of having a chopped up 300SX , FX1 or square nose....
    Last edited by orangefinger; 06-19-2018 at 12:00 PM.

94 Blaster "KAW 1100cc"

650 SC

PWCToday Regular

to be honest most people have gone thru the process of customizing a stock hull and in the end spent same amount of money as just buying a cheap hull ...

the difference is that u can now get aftermarket hulls sooo much cheaper...and u will still have to customize and fix enough to get all components in and working, furthermore your resale value will be higher instead of having a chopped up 300SX , FX1 or square nose....

Seems like a lot of people are just saying finding a bob or other such cheaper hulls and going from there instead. The only reason I知 still skeptical on that is the big scary price tag of like 3-5 grand. I was just thinking of ways to make a fun ski without the price but with the work. Is the bob that much of an upgrade worth the price over chopping up a hull?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

I wouldn't change the route I have taken over the years. Because it was fun to me to build project skis of a different variety. I started as a Kawasaki JS rider back in the 80's. Loved the JS hull and until recently, preferred Kawasaki mechanicals and hulls.. That all changed with my first FX-1 project.. And then, eventually building a few Super Jets. Both RN and SN.

I prefer a Yamaha hull and mechanical now after years of trying to get big performance from skis that were never designed to handle it.. Now, I am hooked on aftermarket hulls. Specifically my Air Blair Darts. Nothing like a well designed hull, a big azz pump and a nicely set up Yamaha power plant. But, like I said... I liked the route I took to get to this point.

I think you are far better off starting with a Super Jet SN, RN or an FX1 from the sounds of your plan. The SJ's will already have the pump you will want to handle low end power. That is until you desire to take the next step into aftermarket hulls.
    Last edited by JSNate; 06-19-2018 at 05:28 PM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Seas2699 View Post
    Is the bob that much of an upgrade worth the price over chopping up a hull?

Yes. You can flip a bob with a 701 in it and enough practice. Multiple people have tried to flip SN's and 300sx's chopped up with 800cc+ engines and fail. So you end up with a **** ski that cant flip or chase boats.

If you want a fun cheap "freestyle" ski get the SN and remove all the wet foam out of the back, cut 4" off, Reinforce the weak areas, shorten the ride plate and pole. The ski will still be usable and a lot more playful. You can also do it in a few weekends and salvage the rest of the summer.
    Last edited by Quinc; 06-19-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

PWCToday Regular

At this point it sounds like whichever way I go I will be spending about the same money. Like I said I don稚 really have any experience Yamaha skis but it sounds like that痴 where I値l be going for this. Don稚 get me wrong I wouldn稚 ever give up my 750 now with all it痴 got in it and the power I get out of it but I couldn稚 see a similar motor being worth a crap when it comes to low end freestyle. I知 starting to dislike the idea of cutting up a ski especially any superjet as they seem to be on the higher price side. So it looks like a bob or something of the likes is what I値l be saving up for. Only questions I have are regarding motor work and some other things I haven稚 done before. With the 701 there will probably need to be porting, head, carbs, pipe, and ignition system but what about options like having cylinders bored over or stroker crank. Are they worth what they cost in this case? And what pump size came in the gen 1 bob? Ik 144 pumps or mag pumps can be hard to find and especially something like a 155 would be an interesting part to hunt down. Would thrust innovations be the best choice for trim? How do I figure the length of handle pole o need?
    Ik this is a lot of questions that plenty of people have probably answered on this or other forums so any help with direct answers or other threads would be appreciated

same money....believe me been there done that not only once...

time better spent working on components....don't forget about the resale value

WDK ROk 3.5 K on x for sale , its brand new.....just one example

some other companies make " build your own hull" sales they just send u top and bottom deckl
    Last edited by orangefinger; 06-20-2018 at 08:51 PM.

94 Blaster "KAW 1100cc"

650 SC

PWCToday Regular

same money....believe me been there done that not only once...

time better spent working on components....don't forget about the resale value

WDK ROk 3.5 K on x for sale , its brand new.....just one example

some other companies make " build your own hull" sales they just send u top and bottom deckl

The BAM hull by crazy joe has been interesting to me and also most of the things on jet manias need to stay away from that place or I might be homeless soon (with a bad *** ski). Anyways seem like a good place to start or go lower? Hull is a little more than 3.5k but the engine with big bore seems pretty good for around 2k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information