Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

02 xp 951 boging and shuta off at full throttle at first

I have 02 xp 951
    Wen it sits for more than 20 seconds wen i start it and give it full throttle it bogs down and shuts off .i have to play with rpm for few minutea to punch it
    I have new filters and needle and seats the carb was rebuilt last year so its not the carb .
    Any ideas what else it can be ?
    Any help would be apreciated

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cliff's Avatar

Re: 02 xp 951 boging and shuta off at full throttle at first

Is this ski 100% OEM stock?

Which “new filters” are we talking about?

What size N/S, Main & Pilot Jets are you using?

Did you use genuine Mikuni parts kits when rebuilding the carbs?

Pop Off pressure is at _____?

Have you tuned/adjusted the carbs on the ski in the water after they were rebuilt?

Sounds like a rich condition to me.

Did you pull the plugs and look at the plug coloring?

Are the plugs wet, black or fuel soaked?

Were the bypass holes poked
    and cleaned when you rebuilt the carbs?

More questions than answers. But a baseline needs to be established to correctly diagnose the problem.
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-18-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    What would Chuck Norris do?

Kansas City, Missouri... cuz when the icecaps melt, my house becomes ocean-front property...bytches.

There is a lot of possibilities here. We have to rule out the basics first.

Have you performed a compression check? Is your charging system operating properly? Are you operating at high altitudes? Is your water regulator on the water box functioning properly? Accelerator pump on the carbs working? Possibility of broken reeds? How do the plugs look after a high speed run? New plugs tried and gapped correctly?

From how you are describing things, it would sound like you are starving for fuel which indicates that there IS a carb issue. Without knowing the condition of the rest of the fuel system, the quality of fuel, and how it was winterized, there isn't a sure fire way to know that it ISN'T in the carburetors. A little bit of reading threads about the 951 should clearly illustrate that this motor is known as a ticking time bomb. All kinds of power with the sacrifice being the life span.

Seems like a lot of the experts and ol' guys think a good rule of thumb is 150 hours between rebuilds, otherwise you risk catastrophic engine destruction when a piston explodes and takes half the bottom end with it.
    Last edited by SpitAndDirt; 06-18-2018 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Cuz I hate mess'spelled wurds
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #1
    96XP Wake-jumping demon #2
    99XPL Runs like it's possessed! :

02RX Current project in-work, ready to be assembled.
    A BIG THANKS to Bill O' and Chris at Watercraft Magic for putting together an excellent re-jetting and Prok filter kit for the XPL.
    I love my CanDooPro! Take that stealerships!! www.candoopro.com

Everything is oem
    The carbs were rebuilt with genuine mikuni kits
    Compression is good
    Plugs were wet because the exhaust gasket was leaking before but fixed now

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Did you replace the gray tempo fuel lines when the carbs were done? Was the fuel selector thoroughly cleaned or bypassed at the same time?
    I'm only here to make you mad

I'll tell your girl you said "hi".

02 xp does not have grey lines

Youíll need to fine tune the low speed screws to achieve a crisp throttle response.

Tie the ski to a dock so that the pump is loaded or tie it up on both ends on the trailer and submerge the pump. Take the seat off and start the ski to get it up to operating temperature. Snap the throttle and see what it does(Iím assuming it will bog since thatís what youíve already stated). Adjust the idle speed to 2,800 rpm and turn the low speed screws inward to cut the amount of fuel to the engine. Only turn 1/16 - 1/8 of a turn or less each and every time on each low speed screw and pull the throttle. If it still bogs. Turn the low speed screws SLIGHTLY in again to cut more fuel to the engine. Continue to do this and adjust the idle to 2,800 rpms after each screw adjust. Once you can get the throttle to get a crisp pull without any hesitation. Youíre now at the point where the carbs wcan transition to the high speed fuel circuit. Put in a new pair of spark plugs and go out for a very EASY ride and see what the engine does. If it wants to accelerate correctly. Open the high speed adjusters only 1/8 turn to get more fuel to the engine for full throttle and ride around at an easy pace again and see how the engine responds. If it responds correctly. Do a wide open throttle run and pull the lanyard for a plug chop and pull the plugs out and see what color is on the plugís porcelain.

Mikuni USA has the manual on PDF that you can read up on and print out.

Always follow the factory manual for carbs screw adjustments and pop off pressures along with proper jetting and needle/seat sizing.
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-18-2018 at 06:50 PM.

Thank for the reply
    I set both needles to factory specs wen i rebuilt the carb.il try doing what u wrote .if that doesnt work any suggestions ?

Check the water regulator and check the diaphragm for any holes in it and for a broken spring inside the housing.

That’s about it for now. But I think at this point your carbs settings are too rich and need adjusting.

FYI...

The low/high speed screws are tapered at the tip where it is inside of the carbs and SMALL turns in or out will affect the fuel ratio coming into the engine via the fuel circuits. That is why I mentioned to turn the screws in very SMALL turns as turning the screws in too much can cause a lean condition and seize your motor. So only SMALL turns of the screws(any of them) is necessary to achieve the crisp throttle response you're looking for and actual hands on tuning/adjusting will get you familiar on how to set up the carbs correctly. Even after rebuilding the carbs and turning the screws to factory specs. Fine tuning will still be needed to get it running correctly and that's where the human touch comes in(You!).

When you feel & hear the ski wanting to "take off" when you pull the throttle and accelerate more cleanly. Open the high speed screws a little bit so the High speed circuits can feed the necessary load on the motor aka 30% throttle all the way up to full throttle. Do this until you can achieve a crisp throttle response from snapping the throttle open and then do a plug chop and see where the coloring of the spa plugs sit. Coloring of the plugs will take a bit of time and isn't instantaneous.

Post back with your results...
    Last edited by Cliff; 06-19-2018 at 04:58 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information