User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Wave blaster runs for ten mins then misses

ive a 1993 blaster 61x motor, running b pipe, head, water box and stock electrics.
    got what I believe to be a electrical problem. Ski runs mint out the water and In the water for 10/20 mins then starts to miss like itís hitting a rev limiter and only has half power. Iíve gone threw all the electrics stator, coil etc and they all ohms tested within specs. Couldnít test the cdi properly so I tried another good cdi and still the got same problem. Thought it was the stop start switch so I replaced that and no change!! Could anyone shed any light in it as Iím stuck and am thinking it could be the stator causing the problem!

Re: Wave blaster runs for ten mins then misses

Ohm the Stator cold, then ohm the stator warm. If there is a noticeable difference, one of the coils is bad.

Overheat sensor still hooked up ?

No it’s gota aftermarket head. I had the issue a couple of weekends ago so I changed the cdi over ran it on the lake for the day and was fine, took it out in the sea in some waves yesterday and started to do the same problem again.

I was also thinking could be salt water getting in the electrics so disconnected the black and white wires on the stop start switch and ran it and still got the same problem

As stated above ck the stator or just replace , 62t stator and flywheel ? I have seen 61x stators with 62t flywheels before , it will fit , but not a 62t stator with 61x flywheel , flywheel too small ID , this will cause same problem , in 96 , on the track , one of our superjets the ignition would go down and bog until cooled off , then come around and run fine , ended up being the magnets on a 62t flywheel were weak , OEM flywheel , so we switched to 61x flywheel and stator with 62t cdi , no more issues , all the race yamahas with stock ignition are set up this way for reliability with no failures , good luck

Just took the flywheel cover off and there was moisture in there. Surely that’s not good? 60583F30-07DD-4543-B75B-8938AE8D8C14.jpeg

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

I've dealt with this a couple times through the years on Yamahas. You'll need to take a multimeter to the water with you, preferebly where you can back the trailer in and leave it a bit, or where there's a courtesy dock. Warm up the ski good and ride until it starts cutting out. Come over to the dock or trailer and leave it running. Open it up and check voltage at the battery, throttle it and see what the voltage does. If it climbs up to 15 volts or more the voltage regulator is faulty. If that's not it, you will need to open the electrical box, zip tie or bungee it closed so it can be quickly opened. Same thing, run it until it craps out then check the ac voltage output of the charge coil. If he output gets weak it has trouble firing off the ignition after about 1/2 throttle.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thread Information