Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Re: 2000 SUV Carb rebuild

Sounds like you got it but keep a eye on your check valves and dribbling fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Ingeld View Post
    Ok ... i ordered and got yet another set of 115 gram springs .. shiny silver this time . Did pop off test with the pump body off and put the tester in the port the filter sits and I got a bit over 50 PSI .. BOUT TIME . I guess the other company I got springs from were either not the right ones or something. I installed new Mikuni check valves in the pump body as well since it was open. For the ****s of it I did another test with the pump body on and used the fuel nipple. I got a pop off of about 60 psi .... is this jump in pressure normal with the pump body on? Sorry about all the questions but im still learning how to work on these carbs. I rebuilt the engine and I dont want to fry it with bad carbs.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by JC-SuperJet View Post
    So how do you know you have 62psi pop-off? Did you figure out why the 1.5 N/S x 115gr Spring was not yielding 55psi pop-off?

Tell us what happened so we can all learn. It's a two-way street...
    I know I have 62 psi because I tested it. I am running stock 1.2 NS and when I rebuilt the carbs I used the spring in the kit that was comparable to the one I was replacing. Tested at 42 psi which per a document I found on SBT should have been stock for my ski. I had so much fuel dripping from the upper Venturi at idle it was running way to rich. Swapped out the spring for a heavier one and if everything is much better.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Guy View Post
    If you get too much pop off it will suffer on the bottom. It will usually bog on takeoff.
    Bottom end is good

Im having an issue with pop off as well . I followed outside bills write up and went with a 1.5 NS but the problem im having is that not one spring will get me to a 50 pop off .. i tried the gold one and only got 35
    You still haven't explained why you were only reading 35psi with a 1.5 N/V and a 115gr Spring? Inquiring minds want to know...
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 06-17-2018 at 03:38 PM.

You still haven't explained why you were only reading 35psi with a 1.5 N/V and a 115gr Spring? Inquiring minds want to know...
    He did, he ordered new springs

Quote Originally Posted by driftmaster View Post
    different guy, it's two having problems in this thread.

Your may be right about not having it plugged up good when you're checking pop off pressure that high I'v seen the plug fly across the room or leak when checking pop off.
    Ok, now I understand why I can't get a straight answer. Will the correct Guy answer why he couldn't read 55 psi pop from 1.5 N/S x 115Gr?
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 06-17-2018 at 03:48 PM.

The Post you missed

Ok ... i ordered and got yet another set of 115 gram springs .. shiny silver this time . Did pop off test with the pump body off and put the tester in the port the filter sits and I got a bit over 50 PSI .. BOUT TIME . I guess the other company I got springs from were either not the right ones or something. I installed new Mikuni check valves in the pump body as well since it was open. For the ****s of it I did another test with the pump body on and used the fuel nipple. I got a pop off of about 60 psi .... is this jump in pressure normal with the pump body on? Sorry about all the questions but im still learning how to work on these carbs. I rebuilt the engine and I dont want to fry it with bad carbs.
    Last edited by driftmaster; 06-17-2018 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks drift, I got cross-eyed with the different feedbacks...

I guess when he says "shiny silver", he means not the Gold ones 'cause the Shiny Silver ones are supposed to be 65 grams. So he must mean the Platinum ones to get to 50/60 psi pop.

Anyway, I'm done brain-screwing this "mystery"...

Lately, some of the posted problems have been rife with bad descriptions or misleading statements on top of hijackers...lol

PWCToday Newbie

Ok, now I understand why I can't get a straight answer. Will the correct Guy answer why he couldn't read 55 psi pop from 1.5 N/S x 115Gr?
    I did answer .... I am on the third set of springs. Got just over 50 psi pop-off with out pump body installed ... 60 with pump body installed and testing through the 1/4 inch fuel nipple.

Don't know why the other two sets of "115 gram" springs wouldn't work. Just wondering why the pop-off pressure rose 10 psi with pump body installed .

The Pump side must have been in place because the fuel inlet nipple, where you're pumping air, is on the pump cover; so you must be referring to the Regulator cover being off; this is the side where the jets and needle valve are located.

There is an important reason why the Needle Valve is wetted for a proper pop-off test: the liquid gives a better seal, thus the needle valve pops sooner than when dry.

When the Regulator Cover is back on, you are no longer doing a wet test, it is dry. Without liquid to help seal the valve, air probably leaks past the valve requiring more air pressure pop. Also a dry needle would have more friction to overcome before it pops.

At the end of the day, what really matters is that only genuine authentic made-in-japan ichiban Mikuni components should be used in Mikuni Carburetors. Also since the three different degrees of "shine" of silver(Platinum, Dull and Shiny) are hard to discern, one must always do a pop test to confirm the correct pop-off is set.
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 06-17-2018 at 04:40 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread Information