Thought I was buying a ski, got a project instead. Advice?
pxctoday

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Thought I was buying a ski, got a project instead. Advice?

I bought an 01 Genesis a couple of weeks ago. Guy showed it to me, it started easy and revved good.

Took it to the lake, it wouldn't start, and I ran the battery down. Been trying to figure out what's wrong, finally today I did a compression check. 90 psi on all three cylinders. Spec is 120 to 150 psi.

My question is, can I get away with just rings $30, or should I do a top end rebuild $350 plus machining?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

Re: Thought I was buying a ski, got a project instead. Advice?

i'm no expurt on polaris but here is my 2 cents,
    a top end rebuild is the best option "however"only if that suits your budget.
    providing that motor does not have nicasil bore you can get away with a light hone and new rngs.
    NOW , ? 90 psi should be just enough compression to get fire to start , check spark and fuel delivery , you may have a badly flooded motor so check the plugs for excessive wet fuel deposit,check the lanyard key is connecting properly to allow the switch to work as it should.
    it cant be too big an issue if the ski fired up when the seller sold it to you... look at basics before tearing into it..
    http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

900 powered custom 650 sx .

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

if i did like everyone else and copied everything i needed or wanted i would save lots of time and money.

Frequent Poster

Carbs or direct injection?
    FICHT EMM Repairs (Polaris, Kawasaki, Tigershark)
    http://lakesidetech.biz/
    http://fb.me/lakesidetech1

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

He pulled the old hot start trick on you, 90psi will start an engine when hot but it won't crank on 90 psi cold.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 06-12-2018 at 08:10 AM.
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Check with another gauge. If it was 90 on all three cyls, I am guessing your gauge is off.

The Genesis is a Polaris industries engine with the German PVL ignition. These are known for intermittent ignition related issues, and I am guessing this is really your problem.

Check spark.

Also if it is a DI they are problematic.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

Update: Thanks for the answers. I pulled off the #1 head for a quick look see. The thing is pristine, no scoring on the cylinder wall, and the head looks brand new. Some corrosion on the top of the head, I'm guessing this is normal. I ordered a set of O-rings from the folks that run this forum. And when they arrive, I'll change them out, clean, clean, clean. The piston splash looks okay, and I really don't want to pull the jugs off.

It's a very low hour (for an 01) carb'd ski. Only 140 hrs on the clock. When I get it back together, I'll check some things I forgot to check. It stopped running well after the last fill of gas (Safeway gas) so I'll drain that out and recycle it into my Dakota, which will run on almost anything.

I'll replace the fuel lines, check out the carbs, & check out the ignition. I'm feeling a lot more encouraged

Last edited by Brian in Tucson; 06-12-2018 at 10:43 AM.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by john zigler View Post
    Check with another gauge. If it was 90 on all three cyls, I am guessing your gauge is off.

The Genesis is a Polaris industries engine with the German PVL ignition. These are known for intermittent ignition related issues, and I am guessing this is really your problem.

Check spark.

Also if it is a DI they are problematic.
    I got a set of cylinder head o-rings yesterday. I'm going to clean up the tops of the jugs and the heads and install the new o-rings. I ordered a bunch of new fuel lines and hose clamps, they'll get replaced soon. I ordered a new water/fuel separator, just in case the old one is leaking, that will be replaced when it comes. I ordered three carb kits, those will be cleaned and renewed as soon as the kits come. I have spark, I have a new battery. Kind of amazing how inexpensive parts are! (I have a Porsche, nothing is inexpensive!)

I decided to replace rather than rebuild the separator because so many of the parts required are NLA. This ski is nice enough to go first cabin on the repairs. We're having a respite from the extreme heat today and tomorrow, hope to get a lot of this stuff done today.

sometimes the cdi will stay in run mode even though its not running,there was a service bulletin about moving the red/purple from the cdi to the orange terminal on the e-box board
    2000 pro 1200 69.1 gps
    2000 virage tx 67.8 gps
    2000 virage tx 62.3 gps

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

That fuel wash pattern on the piston top is perfect! Sounds like your on the right track with repairs. Also, if battery voltage on a Polaris drops below 10.5v while cranking they WILL NOT fire.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by TxPro1200 View Post
    sometimes the cdi will stay in run mode even though its not running,there was a service bulletin about moving the red/purple from the cdi to the orange terminal on the e-box board
    Thanks, I did check that out, tho I haven't opened the box. But from what I've read, that was taken care of by Polaris after MY2000.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information