Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1993 GTX Fuel Sender Question

Hey everyone! Was hoping to get some knowledge on this common subject. Picked up a low hour ski from the original owner who had given up trying to get this thing to start. Turns out they had a faulty solenoid, they wired the new one wrong, and burned up the MPEM trying to jump the engine off. Anyway I've run into issues with the fuel gauge; reads 3/4 to full regardless of tank levels. When I disconnect the sender the gauge reads empty, when I jump the harness wires it reads full. When I first got it in the water the gauge read full regardless until a few hours later; after going from full to a 1/4 tank the gauge would sit on 3/4. What do you guys think? Float stuck/broken and needs a rebuild?

Thanks for the help!

Re: 1993 GTX Fuel Sender Question

Reading should be from 90 ohms to about Zero when checking with a multimeter across the 2 leads coming out of the fuel baffle. Sometime the float can stick in the older style baffles if you are using a new float but after riding they usually come loose. This could stick at 3/4 tank level.

The float has a magnet on it which activates magnetic switches on the circuit card inside the baffle and brings resistance in and out as you float goes up and down inside the baffle. Two common problems with these are: the old floats saturate with gas and sink and on some of the soft floats(like used in a 93 GTX) the magnets fall out of the float into the bottom of the tank, or the on board fuse blows and then you have no actual reading (reads full).
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Thread Information