User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

97 XP Hydrolocked

Hey guys, I just picked up a 97 xp w/trailer on Craigslist for $500. The seller said he hydrolocked the motor. He pulled the top end off then gave up on the repair and posted it for sale. I am pretty familiar with top end rebuilds and the 787 motor as I have 2 x4 xp's. I was just doing some research and found that a hydrolocked motor will usually bend a crankshaft connecting rod. So my question is how can I tell if the crankshaft is shot? If it's not I can slap a new top end, replace the oil and rebuild the carbs. But if the crankshaft is gone I might as well get a reman motor. Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Resident Guru

Re: 97 XP Hydrolocked

The bent rod will usually destroy a piston. The seadoo manual goes into detail to check out everything like that. Just have to read thru and learn something. If motor has been filled with water, the bearings usually take a dump from rust. Pull motor and tear down to see what might be an issue. That is a fairly simple motor to assemble, assuming you follow the basic guidelines of a real Seadoo shop manual. Any short cuts can get real expensive. Free downloads on this site somewhere.

Hey thanks for the reply. I got the manual and is very very useful. Fortunately the previous owner took the proper precautions and got the water out of the case the night he hydrolocked it. I am going to order the top end parts and do this build right. Thanks again!

I dream skis

Quote Originally Posted by Skimontana View Post
    Fortunately the previous owner took the proper precautions and got the water out of the case the night he hydrolocked it.
    Somehow, I doubt that occurred. How did the water get in? Bad head gasket, or was it sunk? If sunk (or close to it) the crank bearings are likely done.

Quote Originally Posted by rdjeep View Post
    Somehow, I doubt that occurred. How did the water get in? Bad head gasket, or was it sunk? If sunk (or close to it) the crank bearings are likely done.
    The PO said bad head gasket. He said he was out riding and tipped quite a few times and it stopped running. He took it home pulled the top end and put it in a box. I took a look at the cylinders and they are a little rusty but not bad. The pistons looked pretty worn. The crank looks in good shape and feels smooth, no rust.

I've been trying to decide which route to go. The carbs also need a rebuild. I checked pop off and it's @19PSI. So something is not right. I may just send everything in to someone so I don't have to mess with it. I can ride my other skis while I wait. I honestly didn't want another ski but with this addiction I couldn't pass it up

The bottom could be OK but anymore I do not take chances and end up pulling it apart as well. You could do a top end and get by but you are taking some risk in not looking at more detail at the bottom end - granted it is significantly more work. Pull it apart without removing PTO from the crank will at least save you that hassle.
    The thought that leads to no action is not thought - It is dreaming!!
    Think Big!!

Some people have hobbies - some people have addictions - I have jet skis!!

Thread Information