Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 1995 seadoo xp, runs out-of-water, dies in-water under load

Quote Originally Posted by fbicodex View Post
    Okay, I have clear fuel lines, so I would be able to see those air bubbles go through if that was case with oring, right?
    Yes, you would see them floating down through the lines.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Quote Originally Posted by fbicodex View Post
    How do you figure out why it has low compression?
    First check with a different gauge. Many times the gauge is off. I have 2 that are correct and 2 that aren't. You can pull off the head, it's o'ringed so there is no gasket and usually the o'rings are still in good shape. You can look right into the cylinders and inspect everything.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Like he said pull the head, take pictures with your smartphone and post them here. That will be a good starting place.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by 1983 View Post
    Like he said pull the head, take pictures with your smartphone and post them here. That will be a good starting place.
    pulled the head off, the pistons look fine(other than some carbon build up. I forgot to take pictures, so I'll take it off again later to upload them, no scoring on cylinder walls pistons move up and down smoothly.
    Last edited by fbicodex; 06-15-2018 at 03:13 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

I do have other news about the machine though, I also posted this in my runaway thread
    some not so good news after that runaway... Things have gotten weird.

so I did a compression check as a mentioned before, both cylinders are up at 135 psi(same as before the runaway)
    But now it is not running...

like a mentioned, I could not see gas coming out of the rear carb looking down the intake(however, I did verify gas was coming out of the return outlet on it).
    Thinking that it must need some gas on the rear carb, I poured some gas straight down the rear carb. Results got messy here... It gave a fire punch here and there but for the most part just cranked with no fire. So I tried it a few times, still same thing.... I am stumped.... opened idle a little more tried pumping throttle some while cranking.

Any ideas?

I would think it would give me a little fire! even if carbs are messed up, if I'm pouring gas straight in, you know?

My fear is that there is something wrong with the magneto, or something else, I have an inline ignition tester and I see spark on it, but could spark plugs still be bad? could it be due to an air leak in the lower end?

Also, don't tell anyone I told you this, because I don't know when it got there, but... I found a washer down in the intake by the roatary valve opening. After the runaway I took the carbs our and cleaned them that night, I wonder if that's when that washer go in there... otherwise I don't know how it would have been running so well before? I did a check by hand reaching into the intake with my finger and then cranking, I lost my finger to the rotary valve!

just kidding about losing a finger, but I did check with my finger turning the fly wheel by hand and seeing when the mag piston was as high as it could go the rotary valve seemed to be in the right position(or atleast close) from my aprox. turning guess from what the shop manual says.

After the runaway, turning in the engine almost seems "loose" now? like when cranking it will give a few extra puffs than I think it did before? any idea's what might be going on there? both cylinders still have the same compression as before...

PWCToday Regular

Start with the problem you know you have. Clean/ rebuild the carbs. Get some new plugs and give it another try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, you're saying front piston at TDC, finger into the intake port, rocking the engine back and forth by way of the PTO, the RV opening seems about right? If so, then it should fire off and run. Take plug wires off and ohm from the spark plug top to the hex at the head. They should both be open, no continuity. If you show any reading then a shorted plug is grounding out your ignition system.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

PWCToday Newbie

Got the venom brand carb rebuild kit,
    rebuilt the carbs last night,
    tried starting it this morning and it will give a pop(igniting) here and there, very infrequent though.
    recommendations?

something that confuses the hek out of me is with the pop-off pressure
    a lot of people reference this chart
    http://www.seadoosource.com/carbreference.html
    well for 1995 sea doo xp 717, it says 40-56psi on the pop-off after doing that rebuild, which I intentionally got new needle/seat assembly in the kit, I am getting around 30 psi. and with the old needle/seat I get about the same. This is using the biggest springs that came with the kit.

Now in the shop manual(found here http://seadoomanuals.net/download/pd...ice-Manual.pdf) I can't find where it lists different pop-off pressures for different models that year just that on page 101, it says this

pump tester until inlet release pressure is reached (seen by a sudden pressure drop).
    This must occur within 150-200 kPa (22-29 PSI) for single carburetor or 110-145 kPa(16-21 PSI) for twin carburetors.

well the xp model has twin carbs, so which is it 16-21psi or 40-56psi? I can barely get 30 psi with the biggest spring in. I suspect maybe it's just 16-21psi then and I should use the smaller spring.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    So, you're saying front piston at TDC, finger into the intake port, rocking the engine back and forth by way of the PTO, the RV opening seems about right? If so, then it should fire off and run. Take plug wires off and ohm from the spark plug top to the hex at the head. They should both be open, no continuity. If you show any reading then a shorted plug is grounding out your ignition system.
    when you say hex head, do you just mean any bolt head on the head of the engine? or any part of the engine head in general?

PWCToday Newbie

nevermind, you mean't the the hex head of the spark plug. gotcha.
    I did check that and I did not find any connectivity between the hex head and the top of the spark plugs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information