Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Question 1998 Kawasaki 1100 STX Oil Injection Carb Path Question

Hello to all !!

I just lost an engine in my ski due to the 3rd or most aft piston seizure. My guess is not enough oil so I am in the process of testing all the components of the oil injection system before I mount my new STB engine. Yesterday I connected a clean tube to the oil port on the carb and tried to blow to see if the passage is clear. I was unable to push any air through any of the carbs. Is there some type of ball and spring or value that stays closed until a certain pressure? I would really like to make sure these paths are clear, especially on that 3rd piston.

And yes, I probably should block it off. Just have a concern of running the same mix during high rpm and idle. This oil pump regulates the amount of oil sent based on how fast the crank is turning.

Thank you in advance!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Blog Entries

Re: 1998 Kawasaki 1100 STX Oil Injection Carb Path Question

Run mix and do not worry about it ever again. Rpms are not going to effect how rich/lean of oil you need to run. 40:1 is perfect for a non-modified ski.

Do you have pictures of the damage? My guess is the 3rd cylinder went lean. Make sure you do a pressure check on your new engine (sbt has low quality control) and verify that your carbs are clean, pop off is correct etc.
    triceps are the biceps of the back of your arm.

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks for the reply, Quinc. I may end up doing that. Would hate to loose another engine.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rod Peters's Avatar

I run 40 to 1 mix. I eliminated the pump as they fail on occasion. Its just cheap insurance knowing the oil is already there doing its job.

I agree as well with blocking it off. I have both of my skis blocked off and run 40:1, and my buddy has a 97 1100 STX and his is blocked off as well. They run great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PWCToday Newbie

You may not need to block off if you don't want to, can you post pictures of damage done previously?

Also, regarding blowing into carbs,
    They had a needle/seat with a spring and each model/year has a particular "pop-off" pressure for it to let fuel through. Most models this is between 15 to 30 psi some go up to around 60 psi though.

But anways, we can only blow out our mouth with a pressure usually no more than 5 psi, so probably not going to reach that "pop-off" blowiung with your mouth. They make pop-off gauges you can get to test that.

Hope that is helpful at all

PWCToday Newbie

Thank you for all the thoughts and replies. Here is a picture of the seized piston. All of the other pistons are perfectly fine. Something weird, I can put all three pistons in the cylinders that are fine, but none of the pistons will fit in the seized cylinder. Maybe warped due to heat?? I connected my dewalt to the oil pump this weekend and captured the oil. Ran approx. 1500 rpm and got 5 ml out of each little hose after 4 minutes. That seems to be within specs of 10 to 12 in 4 minutes running 3000 rpm. Then I connected the lines back to the carb and on that 3rd (bad) cylinder, it looked like not as much oil was passing through as the other 2. The little well where the fuel needle sits was just not filling up like the others. I used carb cleaner and air and that seems to correct that issue. Do those needle valves get "sticky" over time and possibly slow the flow of oil? I am just still unsure of why it really seized in the first place.seized_piston.jpg

Thread Information