Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Regular

Wet carb base gasket

Hey all!

js550 with OE 44mm intake manifold + sbn44.

I've observed during carb tuning (removal of carb to rejet) that my base gasket is wet with fuel. I believe this is an indication of it not sealing/leaking?

Up until now, I've purchased all my base gaskets via eBay through "river ready". Are these up to snuff? Anyone have recommendations on optimal carb base gaskets?

Re: Wet carb base gasket

Dress both sides of the Gasket with 1211 or Motoseal and then install it.

I dream skis
    Blog Entries

Get a flat piece of granite or marble, glue some 220 wet / dry paper to it and sand the face of your carb, spacer plate and manifold flat. Use the 1211 on the gaskets and let it dry before you start it. (over night) Something isn't flat.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Camasaki's Avatar

How are you getting a sbn to fit on a stock manifold? Maybe your mating issue right there?
    You can't drink all day, if you don't start in the morning.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

It is normal for paper carb base gaskets that do not have a sealant applied to become soaked (wet) with fuel. As far as I know the gaskets River Ready sell are good gaskets.

Do you suspect an air leak? Is the boat not reacting to jetting changes the way you expect it to??

Home of Newmiller Machine

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by mcn6 View Post
    It is normal for paper carb base gaskets that do not have a sealant applied to become soaked (wet) with fuel. As far as I know the gaskets River Ready sell are good gaskets.

Do you suspect an air leak? Is the boat not reacting to jetting changes the way you expect it to??
    Hey Chris.

Ski is performing and responding as if there is no air leak. My purpose in creating this thread was primarily to confirm if the base gasket being wet with fuel is common/normal (when no sealant is used). Based off your additions... seems this is normal.

I may purchase some spare river ready gaskets to have on hand and continue to assemble like I have (no sealant). Ideally, I'd prefer to not use 1211 on the base gasket.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home mcn6's Avatar

What I was referencing with "sealant on the gaskets" was the OEM style or similar gaskets with factory applied sealant. With regular old standard A/M paper gaskets I usually apply an automotive hi-tach to the gasket on the manifold side and a thin layer of grease on the carb base side with the intent that the gasket stays stuck to the manifold without tearing when removing the carb.

If there is any question as to whether or not there is an air leak, follow the advise already given by JC or eric.

Home of Newmiller Machine

"apply an automotive hi-tach to the gasket on the manifold side and a thin layer of grease on the carb base side with the intent that the gasket stays stuck to the manifold without tearing when removing the carb"

Now that's slick; will become standard practice for my Carb installations. Thanks.

PWCToday Regular

Quote Originally Posted by JC-SuperJet View Post
    "apply an automotive hi-tach to the gasket on the manifold side and a thin layer of grease on the carb base side with the intent that the gasket stays stuck to the manifold without tearing when removing the carb"

Now that's slick; will become standard practice for my Carb installations. Thanks.
    Agreed! Thanks Chris!

must be getting a lot of fuel in there to make it soaked. Sure youre not running rich? ha that gasket is cut correctly and not overlaping into the carb correct? sometimes you get a wrong cut gasket from the factory.

Thread Information