Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

97 Waverunner low compression causes

Greetings all
    I just purchased a 97 wave runner 1100 Triple i read in one area that dirty carbs can cause low compression, I don't see how.

on these motors what needs to be replaced?
    Do they make a high compression head?

Any ideas would be very helpfull
    We do not stop playing because we go old
    We grow old , because we stop playing
    George Bernard Shaw

PWCToday Guru

Re: 97 Waverunner low compression causes

If you just got the boat....Does it run? Have you ridden it? Was it sitting unused for long before you got it? One of the best things you can do to ensure the engine lives long and prospers is check it out good before you run it much at all, especially if it has been sitting.

You must be doing some investigating since you are asking about compression. If the compression is low, it would be helpful to know your numbers. Low numbers can be caused by scored cylinders, bad gaskets, stuck rings (common for engines that have been sitting unused, and not "winterized" properly), or even a bad battery or starter. Are your numbers low but even or do they vary a lot between cylinders. You should be doing the compression test with the spark plugs out, and the carbs OPEN to the full throttle position. Dirty carbs will not affect the compression test, you do not even need fuel for the compression test. HOWEVER please note that your engine needs lubrication during the test. Squirt some oil into the cylinders, and carb throats before you do anymore testing. A high compression head will not correct the problems that may be causing low compression in your engine, and may very well melt your pistons unless you make the other necessary changes that go along with more compression. I am not trying to be snarky here, but... changing the compression of an engine adds a whole other layer of complexity that you are not prepared to deal with if you are asking this question.

If you engine is oil injected, you need to be sure the pump is working properly and delivering oil to your engine.

A leakdown test is perhaps more important that a compression test. This is a link to a generic test done on a motor cycle. For your boat the process is the same, but the adapters will be different. https://www.diymotofix.com/blog/how-...leak-down-test You may need to pull the engine and change your crank seals. If your engine fails this test and you do not correct the problem, it will die an ugly death while you are riding.

You need to check your fuel and vent lines to be sure they are not cracked and brittle from the alcohol in modern fuel.

If it has been sitting for very long, with ethanol fuel in the carbs, they will need to be cleaned and and inspected

You also need to check the pump bearings, and the seal where the drive shaft exits the boat.

That should get you started, good luck,
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

PWCToday Regular

I have a 99 1200. If on the 97's the factory used zip ties to hold the oil injection lines to each carb, I'd suspect that, which in turn if the hose falls off, roasts the pistons and cylinder. First sign is oily mist on the hull below the seat and it eats the stickers. I had one injection line off. Replaced the burnt cylinder and piston and rings on the other two pistons, head gasket, and got rid of the injection pump with a block off kit and then a d plate after removing the catalytic converter and chip to override the o2 signal. Like the above poster said, all spark plugs out while testing compression.

Thank you all the cylinders are from MAG to PTO 120 115 105, carbs look good, and she starts up and purrs im going to taking it out on water tomorrow. let ya know
    George Bernard Shaw

just got boat, runs smoothly, have not gotten it out on water yet, person used it last year previous owner had head gasket replaced early last year. MAG to PTO 120 115 105. started is good , Oil injectors working good, Previous owner used the Yamaha oil. I cleaned out all three cards and removed at lot white stuff and checked all 6 jets. after my water test im going to pop off the head to check the pistons and cylinders. If the walls are good, can i just replace the rings? or should i do pistons also?
    George Bernard Shaw

my apologies, I guess this is a Wave venture not a try wave runner triple.00N0N_jfmxR4oIdwl_600x450.jpg
    George Bernard Shaw

Thread Information