Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 95 Wave Venture Compression Improvement - Head Gasket replacement

Quote Originally Posted by driftmaster View Post
    Put a Schrader valve tip line on your harbor freight gauge and I bet it reads correctly
    It might because that way the extra hose volume is eliminated...

Just so we are clear OP, no changing the head gasket would not up your compression. Its either sealing correctly or your day is over.
    '90 Superjet: ported 760, dual 44's, B pipe, ADA head 190psi, TDR waterbox, hooker 10-16, sponsons. Wife's ride
    '94 Suuuperjet: 84mm 61x, ported, protec pipe, H2o designs waterbox, Newmiller head 175psi w/girdle, protec ride plate, Protec mod'd cdi, UMI grate, RN pole -4", rev footholds, solas prop, sweet green turf+wrap.
    '95 Raider 701: Fiberglass not SMC, Hydrotrailer hitch, ugly purple and yellow everywhere.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home WFO Speedracer's Avatar

I can pretty much look at my tire and see how much air is in it, . If you have a known good engine or cylinder you can get a baseline, that's all you need. I want you calibrate it yourself ride it with a sharpie on the gauge face itself.

If you really want to get technical about it I don't think there's anything wrong with Harbor freight gauges. The problem is people are using for stroke compression gauge is on two-stroke engines. Since everything is for stroke these days pretty much all harbor freight sells his four stroke compression gauges. Two-stroke gauges have a Schrader valve in the tip four strokes do not.
    Actually this information is incorrect, I speak from experience as someone who owns a Mac compression gauge with all the various adaptors and has used it on various two and four stroke engines for the last 35 years. All of the adaptors have a Schrader valve in them, it makes no difference if you are checking compression on a two stroke or on a four stroke, compression is compression, it is measured in lbs not in strokes.

That being said any compression gauge that has a hose leading to it and does not have a Schrader valve in the end of it will be inaccurate, this is because the inside volume of the hose alters the compression reading due to its added volume, the Schrader valve in the end of the hose takes this out of play which is why decent compression gauges come with them.

My opinion is if you can't afford a good compression gauge go to Oreilly's or Autozone and rent one, then you will know you have an accurate measurement, otherwise it's like trying to measure millimeters with a yardstick , it just ain't gonna work !
    Y'all know me, still the same O.G. but I been low-key
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    Actually this information is incorrect,!
    Funny, you pretty much said the same thing I did, so is yours also incorrect?

All the higher-end compression testers I've seen comes with at least one hose that doesn't have a Schrader valve it the tip, least the one I have does.

What you have to say is whats incorrect.

Please enlighten me what do I use the hose on that doesn't have the Schrader valve in the tip. Certainly with your 35 years experience you should have no problem telling me.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Certainly with your 35 years experience you should have no problem telling me.
    Says the toolbag.

It is used to check leakdown by parking a particular cylinder at TDC or as an air hold hose when you replace valve guide seals on an engine without removing the head, anything else you need to know just ask, I have rebuilt engine in everything from golf carts, UTV's ATV's, superbikes, jetskis, lawn mowers and small block chevys and Dodges.
    Last edited by WFO Speedracer; 06-06-2018 at 08:18 AM.
    hated on by most these &^$$@s with no cheese, no deals and no G's, no wheels and no keys, no boats, no snowmobiles, and no skis, mad at me cause I can finally afford to provide my family with groceries

Says the self-proclaimed carburetor genius that disagrees with Jet Works, Novi and outside bill on the proper way to set up a 65u carb rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Guy View Post
    Says the toolbag.

Quote Originally Posted by WFO Speedracer View Post
    It is used to check leakdown by parking a particular cylinder at TDC or as an air hold hose when you replace valve guide seals on an engine without removing the head, anything else you need to know just ask, I have rebuilt engine in everything from golf carts, UTV's ATV's, superbikes, jetskis, lawn mowers and small block chevys and Dodges.

I agree with part of this but not entirely all of it, compression testers has multiple Schrader valves. Most members on this fourm do not rebuild engines or even check compression on anything other than their one ski. And most don't have 350 $400 to go buy a new professional compression tester. Yes they could rent one but they can also by Harbor Freight and calibrate it, then they'll have a gauge in their toolbox. Like i said I have a professional and a Harbor Freight compression tester. I trust my Harbor Freight tester just as much as the professionally one.

Well we both knew you wouldn't say I am right didn't we ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information