Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

1995 seadoo xp running problems

Hello All,

Just bought a 1995 seadoo xp
    It will crank and briefly start for a few moments, I even had it where it would idle indefinitely out of water(would shut it off after 30 seconds of-course). But as soon as you put it in the water the load would kill it. Also trying to rev it bogged it and kills it.

replaced all the fuel lines
    got a new battery
    cleaned out the carburetors
    compression tested around 125 psi (both cylinders were the same)
    tested spark plugs, they are getting spark(even replaced spark plugs)

current status: it will crank and I hear it firing some but not enough to keep itself going. There is fuel puffing out of the front carb, but not the back one.
    just rebuilt the carburetors again, I think the springs may not be right... pop off tester was hard to get a good reading... the pump gauge i have goes up to 30 psi and it seemed like it would pop around 30 but it was leaking so I had to pump fast. Went through the confusion of the manual saying around ~21psi and then the chart saying 40-56psi that others referenced online. Did the low speed screws 1-3/4 back out per the shop manual.

The gas puffing out the front carb but not the back led me to believe maybe fuel wasn't going through the back one and that too much fuel was going out the front one. so I tried adjusting the low speed screws accordingly, the front one screwed in about 1/2 turn to restrict flow, and the back one out about 1/2 turn to let more gas flow. The results still seemed the same though? atleast in terms of the gas puffing out the carb.

So I'm thinking maybe the needle is stuck in the back carb so gas isn't going though(but I just cleaned the hek out of it and verified it would move up and down smoothly(and pop off around ~30psi) before I put the carbs back together. So I think well maybe if I pour gas straight into that back carb, if the engine runs and revs up then it must be the needle/seat/spring in that back carb, right? and if the engine doesn't run or rev then it might be something more serious like the RV or the engine itself, right?

*pours gas in the back carb*
    *crank crank*
    *run rev Rev REv REV REVVV REVVVVV REVVVVVV!!!! REVVV REV revv re r v* *died*
    (also it does the revving thing on it's own - makes sense to me by thinking
    okay pour some gas in starts out slow running rich, burns through some starts getting leaner, speeding up, gets optimal rich/lean, then begins running too lean and dies)
    so it did rev up after pouring the gas in the back carb, so maybe I just need to take the carbs apart one more time and put a different spring.... I don't know.

What do you guys think?

I might try adjusting the low speed screws more to if I can get that front carb to stop puffing out gas and see if I can get some if any to buff out the back one.
    I realize no gas should be puffing out of the carbs :P maybe I should try shining a flashlight on the back one to see if any fuel is coming out?

Thanks for any help in advance.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 1995 seadoo xp running problems

Update!

Yesterday I moved the low speed screws to where both of them are at about 1-1/4 turn
    shined I flash light down and I see it looks like fuel is coming out of both(while starting and running it of course).
    The engine would start and idle around 1800rpm (tried to adjust the idle screw to get it to idle around 3000rpm but it did not seem to affect it much...)

now you're wondering what do you mean? so I said it would idle around 1800rpm(out of water, and in water it dies) if I tried to give some throttle it would start to bog down and die. however, some times, if I could ever throttle it just a little a few times it would get up above 2000rpm and once it did that it's like it broke past a barrier then it would idle around 300rpm and could easier rev to 5000rpm from there. So I thought to my self, okay things are just messed up on the low end might be from the springs not right and then compensated with low speed screws but then once it get's to the main jets it fires good.

So with that my hypothesis was, if it can run good once it breaks past 2000rpm then maybe it will be in the water if I put it in while revving around 4000rpm?! flawless plan! so I try that and it still died once in the water with load on the impeller...

Also, when running out of water, when I put the air filter on it seems to struggle more starting like it's not getting enough air. I had read elsewhere that it also gets air from the exhaust, do you think I might have problems on that end of things? and could also be contributing to it running "weak" where it can't handle the load of being in the water? would make sense... if it isn't getting enough air so then it can't burn as much fuel, which would explain why I need to have my low speed screw in a little more than spec. But then I think, if that was the case then how the hek does it rev up(once idling over 2000rpms)??? unless it just sucks air from the carbs, I had them wide open. Also, pulling the choke seems to kill it... also making me think it's not getting enough air...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

When you did the carbs did you scrape all the goo from the fuel inlet fittings inside? How about the fuel switch?
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    When you did the carbs did you scrape all the goo from the fuel inlet fittings inside? How about the fuel switch?
    I did not even know what a fuel switch is but I will find out :P I did scrape some goo out of fuel inlets,there might be more though. I'm going to take the carbs back off later today and try to scrape even deeper for goo and also try changing the springs to get a pop off closer to 40-56 psi since that is what it shows on the chart people have referenced.

I was thinking more about how it could seem to rev so well once above 2000rpm it'll stay idling up around 3000rpm. could that mean once it is utilizing the main jet and high speed screw its like opening the flood gates and works better? meaning the lower end with the pilot jet and low speed screw are wonky and not letting enough through maybe?

But also keeping in mind, while it seems to rev pretty well when above 2000rpm(out of water) it is still dying when in water and under load might still be another problem? or one in the same?
    Last edited by fbicodex; 05-31-2018 at 01:44 PM.

PWCToday Newbie

oh okay, when you say fuel switch you mean the fuel valve? (on/off/res) I'll try looking in that too make sure it's not gummed up

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Could I verify the flow of the fuel supply by taking the fully supply line in to the front carb just put it straight into a tank of gas, so I no there is nothing impeding the flow. no fuel valve or fuel filter bowl? I might try just that.

Thread Information