Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

2001 Yamaha 1200 XLT engine issues

So my 1200XLT was giving me a some issues in the water. I would hit the throttle all the way and the jetski would completely shut off. I would have to play with the throttle a little bit before i could actually squeeze all the way. The real problem was when I was cleaning it... after flushing it it running it about 20 seconds to clear all the water i went ahead and pressed the stop button and the jetskie didnt shut off, so I just took the whole key out so the emergency shut off would kick in, and didnt do anything. after a little panicking I saw smoke coming out of the engine bay so I unplugged the sparkplug cables and the jetski kept running. The engine at this point was extremely hot and it started beeping and the warning on the screen said "EXHAUST". Anyhow, the jetskie shut off eventually but there was some smoke coming out of the engine and you could feel it was extremely hot. Any ideas or suggestions on what this could be? I dont want to try and turning it back on in case the same thing happens and I make it worse.

Thanks,

OJ

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

Re: 2001 Yamaha 1200 XLT engine issues

What you had was a "lean runaway"...if it happens again pull cord off & pull throttlw wide open & it will shut down.

99.9% of the time your problem is related to the carbs...they need to be rebuilt with genuine Mikuni kits.

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 2001 Yamaha 1200 XLT engine issues

Thank you. I will order the Mikuni kits and rebuild the carbs... hopefully that will fix the problem

Thread Information