Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

95 Wave Venture Engine Removal

Good morning. I have a pair of 95 Wave Ventures, and am looking to create one out of the two. I have one, motor 1, that had a poorly installed Riva pipe on it, and obviously got hot at some point. The other, motor 2, is a stock 700 motor and looks good. I'm looking at pulling both motors and swapping them. Primarily because I'm afraid of what the potential heat could have done to motor 1. When I use a HF compression tester, both motors show around 110 in both cylinders. (Not sure about accuracy of the HF tool)

I don't want to use the Riva setup, and just want a decent stock Wave Venture. My two options are to
    1. remove the stock exhaust from motor 2 and mount to motor 1.
    2. remove the motor 2 and exhaust from ski 2 and mount into ski 1.

If I decide to move motors, (I've never done it), I'm sure I'll have to take off the stock exhaust to get motor 2 out, and do I really just need to disconnect all the lines/hoses, remove mount bolts, and slide the motor forward to free it from the coupler and pull it out?

Then when putting it into ski 1, if I haven't moved the existing shaft and pump housings, the alignment should be alright by adjusting the motor on the new mounts, correct?

While I have the motors out, should I also rebuild the intermediate housing/pump?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Brad

PWCToday Newbie

Re: 95 Wave Venture Engine Removal

Ok, additional questions. There is a cable from the electrical box to the flywheel. How do I disconnect that cable in order to get the engine free?

Also, the mid pumps seem to have some small cracks around the shaft area of the housings. I'm guessing I'd be foolish not to replace them completely while the engine was out. But then I have the question of aligning the motor and shaft afterward.

Any help would be appreciated.

Top Dog

unbolt the ebox from hull, 2 bolts and leave it wired to engine, when you have midshaft off look in the hole to make sure the drive shaft is centered,if not you shim pump.

Top Dog

before you install,attach battery neg and pos starter cable to starter on engine. the motor coupler should slide into the midshaft coupler you then use a straight edge (5'' piece of broken hacksaw blade)place it across both couplers on top to check hight and shim, then on side of couplers and slide engine bed plate side to side on motor mounts,tighten bolts and recheck.

PWCToday Newbie

Thank you for your thoughts.

I was reading something that I could actually open the ebox, and disconnect the 5 wires that go to the engine inside the ebox. Is this harder than they are making it sound? Otherwise I also have to disconnect the cable that is running up to the display and such.

Top Dog

I like to open and inspect but its a pain putting back to gather, you need a #2 combo tip in a drill or nut driver,you can do by hand but its hard,if start stop solinoid still works leave it alone.wires going up to gauges and start stop just un plug.

PWCToday Newbie

Well I ended up opening the EBox, and was able to disconnect all but one of the wires. There was a black ground wire that didn't have a disconnect. So I decided to cut that wire, and I'll put the same type of connection on it the other wires have.

I removed the top portion of the carb, but not the intake manifold portion. Exhaust obviously, and associated water lines and such. I left the oil pump on. Once all that was done, I was able to remove the mounting bolts, slide the engine forward and lift the engine out. I had to stand on the ski and lift it straight out. But it wasn't too bad.

Top Dog

when you are ready to start make sure you bleed the oil pump

Thread Information