» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Air Blair Darts

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home JSNate's Avatar

Re: Air Blair Darts

Couple of updates regarding the Darts:

The pink ski is getting an upgraded impeller as I felt a bit of cavitation during a ride last week. After pulling the pump I discovered the pump shoe seal failed and left a large gap between the pump and pump shoe.. Ordered a new seal and while I had the pump off I removed the Solas 11/14 and installed a Big Hub Skat 6/12. I should have the pump installed early next week and see how she rips.. I expect a decent improvement.

The black Dart picked up some more low to mid hit by simply installing a more restrictive fitting in the water line to the pipe stinger. Last winter I changed that set up to a more open fitting.. I really did not notice it this spring other than she sounded a bit more mellow.. So, a quick fix on the beach and the change was made.. It is amazing how much change I got from simply drying out the water box a bit.. The power comes on way more abruptly and that sweet exhaust note is back to normal. It literally feels like the power curve has moved down the throttle about 30% or so.. I tend to ride these skis in the 15-25 MPH range and this change was perfect in that regard.
    Last edited by JSNate; 07-28-2019 at 09:52 AM.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

All I can say is that I also love my AIR BLAIR fixxy. It truly is a ride like no other, won't be disappointed with the purchase!!!

I swapped out the Solas 11/14 for the Skat Big Hub 6/12 and replaced the OEM Pump Shoe Seal with a new R&D 155mm Yamaha Pump Shoe Seal. The R&D fit nicely and was thicker and has a nice step to fit the pump body perfectly. It also has a small groove that was perfect for a bead of silicone. With the help of my son, we pressed the pump in tightly so we could torque her down and shim appropriately. The pump tunnel on the Dart is roomy and makes for an easy install. I let the silicone cure overnight and today we gave her a test run.

The improvement with this impeller upgrade was beyond what I expected. I run a 6/10 Skat Big Hub in my Dart, so I was confident this would be well worth the effort. And it was.. Clearly the Solas 11/14 left a lot on the table and the 6/12 filled the void exceptionally well.

Saturday morning I will meet up with my good friend, Kurt (BLRider) so he can give my Air Blair a test run.. Summer came and went so quickly that I didn't want fall to slip away without meeting up for at least one quick ride. I have long considered Kurt to be one of the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic PWC pilots I know. We both have more years of riding experience than I care to admit. In fact I am still confused as to how quickly I got to this age..

Kurt has been instrumental and an important part of many of my builds. He was very influential when I built my conversion skis and he helped considerably with other projects of mine as well. When I built my first FX-1, he was very involved in the construction and tuning of that 701. Since it was my first Yamaha based ski, I was in unfamiliar territory. Kurt understood the Yamaha mill and ended up figuring out and fixing a few issues as the build progressed. After finishing up that ski I could not wait to get his feedback and opinion of the fX1.. Understanding that he is a diehard Kawi guy, I knew he really had little interest in building much less enjoying a Yamaha based ski. But... Much to his surprise, he ended up really appreciating the FX1 and how well the ski performed.

So, fast forward a handful of years and I can't wait to get his feedback on this ski.. Unlike the FX1 and my conversion builds, I will not be able to take credit for the Air Blair.. That distinction goes to Adam Blair. Kurt and I have planned to meet up over the past couple of years, but it just never panned out. Well, that is about to change.
    Last edited by JSNate; 10-16-2019 at 07:41 PM.

This is great ....
    Kurt, make sure you let us know what you think .
    - Rob.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rc-hx View Post
    This is great ....
    Kurt, make sure you let us know what you think .
    - Rob.
    Without a doubt!
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Ski is loaded up on the new EZ-Ski Hitch Hauler I just purchased. It looks like a really well made product and Chris was great to work with during my order. I went with their V-1 XL model so it would clear my spare tire carrier on my Jeep and allow me to pull a trailer at the same time if needed.

Forecast for 8:00 AM will be in the high 30's.. So, a wet suit will be in order for the morning ride with Kurt. See ya bright and early!
    Last edited by JSNate; 10-18-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Kurt was all smiles after this very, very cold and foggy, early morning rip!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

Kurt needs one!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information