User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

What would cause starter to spin, but not engage engine to turn over?

Last summer, I hit a rock, broke off the guard plate on the bottom, unknowingly. That night while tied to the dock, my Tigershark Daytona 1000 sank in salt water. I fished it out, brought it home and after lots of fresh water and lots of mystery oil, she came back to life and ran again. I fixed the plate, the hole, went for a ride on the lake and all was well again...sort of.

Towards the end of the season last year, the starter would spin when i hit the start button but not turn over the engine. With a few knocks on the starter with a piece of wood, it would engage and I could get it to start. I winterized it and that was that.

Thinking the starter was bad, I replaced it this week. After doing so, it still just spins when I hit start and no amount of hitting the new starter changes anything. What could be causing the starter not to engage?

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: What would cause starter to spin, but not engage engine to turn over?

Your bendix and flywheel in the front cover will be covered in rust.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Myself View Post
    Your bendix and flywheel in the front cover will be covered in rust.
    Thanks for the reply. So, what should my next step be? Remove the magneto cover and pull the bendix out? I've been reading up on this on this site and it seems that on some boats you need to pull the flywheel to get the bendix out, and others you don't. Do you know what the process is for this particular model (Daytona 1000)?

Ok, before you go any further you need to be prepared to do something that is easily one of the hardest repairs on that ski. You need to commit and tell your self you are going to follow through and stick with it. I'm saying all of this because of what follows below.

This job sucks. No way around it. It sucks. You are going to need to pull the engine. Now I know it seems stupid, you like everyone else before are probably going to try to get the mag cover off in the hull. This is where the problem lies. There are two remaining bolts on the bottom of the cover that you can't get off while the engine is still bolted to the bed plate. (The huge black plate under the engine).
    My recommendation to you, since you said you sank the ski last year, and its probably been awhile anyway, is to refresh the engine while it's out. Just put new gaskets, crank seals, pistons and rings in it.
    I have found a way to get a complete engine with exhaust still attached out of these hulls but it takes dedication and a lot of swearing..
    What I do is pull the intake down to the crankcase. Take it all out. This frees up room to access the cooling hoses which need to be removed. Next, and this is only the beginning, next you need to remove all six motor mount bolts. After these are out I recommend using something, a cherry picker, come along, what ever you can find, something that can lift. Pull two of the bolts that hold the huge purple expansion chamber to the cylinders and bolt your chain through them. This provides a safe lift point for the engine. Lift everything just enough to get your arm under engine with a ratchet to loosen the four bolts holding the engine to the bed plate. Once you separate the engine from the bed plate, with a ton of fenagling you should be able to get the engine and exhaust up and out of hull. I've personally done this multiple times.

Sorry for the long write up, that's how I do it when I have to pull an engine.
    Last edited by Associated98; 05-23-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    94' Montego (my first) sold
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Daytona (the one that got away...) sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 clean and beautiful. You will be missed.
    97' Daytona 1000 sold

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Associated98 View Post
    Ok, before you go any further you need to be prepared to do something that is easily one of the hardest repairs on that ski. You need to commit and tell your self you are going to follow through and stick with it. I'm saying all of this because of what follows below.

This job sucks. No way around it. It sucks. You are going to need to pull the engine. Now I know it seems stupid, you like everyone else before are probably going to try to get the mag cover off in the hull. This is where the problem lies. There are two remaining bolts on the bottom of the cover that you can't get off while the engine is still bolted to the bed plate. (The huge black plate under the engine).
    My recommendation to you, since you said you sank the ski last year, and its probably been awhile anyway, is to refresh the engine while it's out. Just put new gaskets, crank seals, pistons and rings in it.
    I have found a way to get a complete engine with exhaust still attached out of these hulls but it takes dedication and a lot of swearing..
    What I do is pull the intake down to the crankcase. Take it all out. This frees up room to access the cooling hoses which need to be removed. Next, and this is only the beginning, next you need to remove all six motor mount bolts. After these are out I recommend using something, a cherry picker, come along, what ever you can find, something that can lift. Pull two of the bolts that hold the huge purple expansion chamber to the cylinders and bolt your chain through them. This provides a safe lift point for the engine. Lift everything just enough to get your arm under engine with a ratchet to loosen the four bolts holding the engine to the bed plate. Once you separate the engine from the bed plate, with a ton of fenagling you should be able to get the engine and exhaust up and out of hull. I've personally done this multiple times.

Sorry for the long write up, that's how I do it when I have to pull an engine.
    &*^%. My swearing starts now.
    UGH, but thank you for the write up. I appreciate it.

One last (stupid) question. Because I really REALLY don't want to do what you just outlined above, is there any harm in pulling the plug at the top of that case (timing plug) and dumping a lot of mystery oil down in there? Maybe that can free up the bendix? (Of course, I'm not sure how I'd get the oil back out again).

LOL...that Bendix is shot.

And best replace it with an OEM Bendix.

Don't buy an aftermarket Bendix 'cause you will regret it sooner than later...

Quote Originally Posted by ansky View Post
    &*^%. My swearing starts now.
    UGH, but thank you for the write up. I appreciate it.

One last (stupid) question. Because I really REALLY don't want to do what you just outlined above, is there any harm in pulling the plug at the top of that case (timing plug) and dumping a lot of mystery oil down in there? Maybe that can free up the bendix? (Of course, I'm not sure how I'd get the oil back out again).
    Do NOT do that. All that's going to do is make a huge mess and ruin your starter. Also you should never re-use a bendix that you have even the faintest tickle in your head about. Getting stranded on the water is something no amount of money is worth avoiding. Fix it right or not at all. Buy a new bendix.
    My first Daytona 1000 had it's bendix stick partway through my first season with it. When I pulled the engine I cut some small notches in the bed plate to allow me to get at the bottom mag bolts should I ever of needed to get in there again. I recommend doing this as well.

Just do it and get it over with. If you do it right you shouldn't have to get back in there for many years. Replace the mag cover gasket, replace the bendix, replace the rubber bladder under the starter, and clean the hell out of everything. If your flywheel looks like cauliflower replace that as well..
    Own:
    99' TS770R
    98' TS1000R
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    97' Daytona 1000
    Owned:
    94' Montego (my first) sold
    95' Daytona sold
    95' Daytona parted out
    95' Barracuda sold
    96' Montego sold
    96' Daytona (the one that got away...) sold
    96' Monte Carlo 900 sold
    97' Daytona 1000 clean and beautiful. You will be missed.
    97' Daytona 1000 sold

PWCToday Guru

I have to agree,
    Quote Originally Posted by Associated98 View Post
    .....Just do it and get it over with....
    This is one of those situations when you need to ask yourself, "Why is there never enough time to do it right-- but always enough time to do it over? "

The only thing I would mention in regard to Associated98's advice is trying to get the engine out with the exhaust attached. It will come out that way, but it is heavy and awkward. He has A LOT of experience with these boats. If you do not have that much experience or access to good way to lift, you may want to remove the exhaust.

ALSO, keep track of exactly where the shims are located under the engine plate so you can get things back on and lined up correctly.

Good Luck
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

PWCToday Newbie

Thanks everyone. Not the job I was looking to do, but at least now I know. I appreciate the insight.

Thread Information