• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rckid143
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Sep 2013

06 GTX LTD oil issues

I picked up an 06 GTX LTD 215 witg 210 hours pretty cheap over the winter. The previous owner told me it has a bad oil pump.

I immediately questioned this because the dealership did not tear into the ski, only an assumption. His description of what happened was; "I hit a decent sized wake going decently fast and when I came down the oil light came on. I shut it off immediately and drifted to the marina. I started it up to get on the dock and it seemed fine but still had the light."

They also sold him a brand new seadoo, another reason I'm skeptical. I looked into 4tec's having issues with oil pumps and they don't seem to go bad unless the supercharger goes (which was done about 50 hours prior). My next thought was an oil pressure sensor going bad, which does seem common. The oil looks brand new and is up to the top on the dipstick.

Does anyone have experience with an issue like this? I'm afraid to start it if one of the oil pumps is bad.
    89' JS300
    89' 650sx
    97' SeaDoo GS
    06' SeaDoo GTX 215
  • john zigler
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    • Mar 2003

Re: 06 GTX LTD oil issues

Yes, oil switches are common on the Seadoo's. There are two, one down on the Lower RH rear side of the block and one up front.

I test with an oil pressure gauge. If you have pressure within spec, your oil pump is ok, and it is typically a bad switch.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email [email protected]

Please visit our web site

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Comment

• Myself
      • Jun 2006

There is a 1/8" pipe thread fitting ar the rear of the head right side. Tap in there with a pressure gauge and see what he pressure actually is.
      http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
      +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
      ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
      light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• rckid143
        PWCToday Newbie
        • Sep 2013

Thanks guys. I'll put a gauge on it and check back.
        89' JS300
        89' 650sx
        97' SeaDoo GS
        06' SeaDoo GTX 215

Comment

• rckid143
          PWCToday Newbie
          • Sep 2013

I put a gauge on it today (a cheap harbor freight one) and it seems to be making lots of oil pressure. I need to check the manual for what it's supposed to be.

The idle was hunting slightly and oil pressure was fluctuating between 30&40. No warnings in the few seconds I had it running.

Any thoughts?
          89' JS300
          89' 650sx
          97' SeaDoo GS
          06' SeaDoo GTX 215

Comment

• Myself
            • Jun 2006

That looks perfectly normal to me. Climbed up pretty quick after you started it. Check and make sure you don't have a collapsed oil filter but I'm thinking simply bad sensor right rear of block.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
            +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Comment

• rckid143
              PWCToday Newbie
              • Sep 2013

The oil pressure jumped up pretty high (looked to be around 80psi) on first start up (I cranked it for a few seconds to prime) but according to the manual that is normal.

Am I correct in thinking that the main pump is what circulates oil and the suction pump acts like a "dry sump" pump?

Looks like I dodged a bullet on this one.
              89' JS300
              89' 650sx
              97' SeaDoo GS
              06' SeaDoo GTX 215

Comment

• Myself
                • Jun 2006

Correct, a scavenging pump and a main pump.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Comment

• rckid143
                  PWCToday Newbie
                  • Sep 2013

So I attempted to put the ski in the water today and discovered there is an actual issue. Rode it for about a minute and came back to shore to find this.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180528_112629178.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	4376941
                  It seems like oil is leaking out of the front and possibly the bottom (or oil is running down the front and dripping)

Any ideas? The 1/8npt plug seemed tight and nothing looks visibly loose.
                  89' JS300
                  89' 650sx
                  97' SeaDoo GS
                  06' SeaDoo GTX 215

Comment

Working...
                  X