pxctoday

» Log in

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4

    A few new member questions

    Picked up a '05 Yamaha XLT 1200. I probably broke the cardinal sin by not running it on the water but.... that's water under the ski at this point.

    At any rate, I was told it ran just fine last year and it cranked on the first try. No visible signs of anything major... (yet). Read on.
    As a safe measure, i sucked all the fuel and oil out and put in a full tank and 5qts of Yamalube 2W. Changed all plugs and fuel filter.

    1. I did crank it after replacing fluids. After 5 min of running, let's just say my grass is pretty dark from the exhaust (oil). Bad sign?
    2. What is the normal oil to gas ratio? Normal use how much oil should I be putting in this x's each fill up? So i can determine if it's eating or leaking oil?
    3. Anyone know off hand the capacity of oil?
    4. The graphics are a bit faded. What's the best place to find economical replacements. Doesn't have to be OEM.

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Wyo
    Posts
    37

    Re: A few new member questions

    I wouldn't get excited. Just take it out and ride it hard. The sponge in the exhaust is probably from all the cold starts while showing it for sale. If it is prefix I would do 50:1. This is a two stroke. They burn oil.

  3. #3
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4

    Re: A few new member questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Cowboy View Post
    I wouldn't get excited. Just take it out and ride it hard. The sponge in the exhaust is probably from all the cold starts while showing it for sale. If it is prefix I would do 50:1. This is a two stroke. They burn oil.
    Thanks for the reply. Not premix - separate reservoirs.

  4. #4
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4

    Re: A few new member questions

    Took the ski out for the first time. Noticed some white smoke and began to run it. Seemed to be very slow out of the gate. Couldn’t get over 35. Then exhaust warning started to flash. Limped back to trailer.

    Any suggestions?

  5. #5
    PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Austin, Texas, USA
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,548

    Re: A few new member questions

    Quote Originally Posted by vxooxv View Post
    4. The graphics are a bit faded. What's the best place to find economical replacements. Doesn't have to be OEM.
    A set of OEM graphics will cost $600+. A set of graphics that don't look anything close to OEM but avoid a totally plain look (which I think is pretty ugly) will run $200-$300. See https://www.ipdjetskigraphics.com

    Quote Originally Posted by vxooxv View Post
    Took the ski out for the first time. Noticed some white smoke and began to run it. Seemed to be very slow out of the gate. Couldn’t get over 35. Then exhaust warning started to flash. Limped back to trailer.
    I don't know this model of PWC whatsoever but are you sure it's an exhaust warning? It seems that something like a low oil or over temperature warning would be more likely. I've never run across a 2 stroke ski that had an exhaust sensor.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

    1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

    Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

  6. #6
    PWCToday Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    44
    Posts
    4

    Re: A few new member questions

    Quote Originally Posted by linkman View Post
    A set of OEM graphics will cost $600+. A set of graphics that don't look anything close to OEM but avoid a totally plain look (which I think is pretty ugly) will run $200-$300. See https://www.ipdjetskigraphics.com



    I don't know this model of PWC whatsoever but are you sure it's an exhaust warning? It seems that something like a low oil or over temperature warning would be more likely. I've never run across a 2 stroke ski that had an exhaust sensor.
    It was flashing EXHST which according to the manual means exhaust temp to high.

    In my limited search thus far could be cat converter - and thus perhaps a d-plate and chip is needed?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.2.0