Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1984 JS550 wire problem

Iíve got an 84 and it was making the clicking noise which i beleivr is because of the relay in the box. However it started to smoke last tome i messed with it. The ground cable that goes from inside the box in back of ski burned. I chased it and yes itís burned but the other one it connects to that goes to the magneto is burned also. How hard is it to replace that cable? Also under the harness sleeve there is a bunch of black stuff tht looks like oil. What could this be. Wanting to get this thing fixed. I think this is the culprit on why itís never ran right or cranked right. Please help. Thanks in advance
    1984 JS550 work in progress.
    -odi white handle grips
    -new fresh paint job
    -fiberglass repair has been done
    -killswitch
    -new blacktip padding
    -clean bay

~for sale if you are wondering~

Re: 1984 JS550 wire problem

Its hard to say with out seeing it. Has this ski ever run right before or did you inherit the ski with this issue ? Can you add a pic ?
    Last edited by ecotrip; 05-16-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ecotrip View Post
    Its hard to say with out seeing it. Has this ski ever run right before or did you inherit the ski with this issue ? Can you add a pic ?

Its always been a little hard to get cranked. Even after sitting for 5 or so mins. I feel like if this is a ground wire that would cause the battery to not charge or for it to not get good spark. Itís ran but not the best. Bogs down sometimes. Wonít run at all right now though. 2D060F8A-19AD-4BF4-906B-335C3D672E09.jpeg
    -odi white handle grips
    -new fresh paint job
    -killswitch
    -new blacktip padding
    -clean bay

-odi white handle grips
    -new fresh paint job
    -killswitch
    -new blacktip padding
    -clean bay

Bump
    -odi white handle grips
    -new fresh paint job
    -killswitch
    -new blacktip padding
    -clean bay

Could my magneto or whatever it’s called be bad? If so do i have to tear the motor all the way down or need any special tools?
    -odi white handle grips
    -new fresh paint job
    -killswitch
    -new blacktip padding
    -clean bay

PWCToday Regular PiranahIndustries's Avatar

Just a guess, but if the ground wire was melted, the battery could have been hooked up backwards. At a minimum, all the grounds should be checked and any melted wires replaced (including internal to the Ebox).

To check if your solenoid is bad, you can jump the two posts from the positive (from battery) to the starter post with a screw driver. If the starter turns, the solenoid is likely bad. If the starter does not turn, your motor, pump, or starter could be locked up.

The magneto (or stator) can be quickly checked without pulling the cover/flywheel off. Search on here for 550 stator resistance test for that procedure. Basically use a multi-meter to measure resistance between the coil ends and ground. If your stator is bad, you'll need to pull the stator cover, and flywheel off to replace, requiring a harmonic balancer puller (be careful not to thread the bolts in too far or that will destroy the stator too) - plenty of information/tips about how to remove and re-install the flywheel on here too.
    1987 JS550/750 Conversion ďBig RedĒ

Quote Originally Posted by PiranahIndustries View Post
    Just a guess, but if the ground wire was melted, the battery could have been hooked up backwards. At a minimum, all the grounds should be checked and any melted wires replaced (including internal to the Ebox).

To check if your solenoid is bad, you can jump the two posts from the positive (from battery) to the starter post with a screw driver. If the starter turns, the solenoid is likely bad. If the starter does not turn, your motor, pump, or starter could be locked up.

The magneto (or stator) can be quickly checked without pulling the cover/flywheel off. Search on here for 550 stator resistance test for that procedure. Basically use a multi-meter to measure resistance between the coil ends and ground. If your stator is bad, you'll need to pull the stator cover, and flywheel off to replace, requiring a harmonic balancer puller (be careful not to thread the bolts in too far or that will destroy the stator too) - plenty of information/tips about how to remove and re-install the flywheel on here too.

Thanks. Will try that later tonight. Problem though. The cable that goes from the box to the clip is melted. From the clip to the magneto is also fried. All the way to the magneto. Can i replace that cable without pulling it all?
    -odi white handle grips
    -new fresh paint job
    -killswitch
    -new blacktip padding
    -clean bay

PWCToday Regular PiranahIndustries's Avatar

Unfortunately no, I believe you'll have to pull it. You may be able to pull out the gas tank, and work on it with the motor still mounted though. Personally, I'll pull everything and put it on the bench - easier to access the lock nut and flywheel.
    1987 JS550/750 Conversion ďBig RedĒ

Quote Originally Posted by PiranahIndustries View Post
    Unfortunately no, I believe you'll have to pull it. You may be able to pull out the gas tank, and work on it with the motor still mounted though. Personally, I'll pull everything and put it on the bench - easier to access the lock nut and flywheel.
    Dang. That sucks. I don’t mind pulling the engine. I just don’t have the tools to pull the flywheel which is why i was wondering if i could do it without pulling
    -odi white handle grips
    -new fresh paint job
    -killswitch
    -new blacktip padding
    -clean bay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information