Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Opinons

PWCToday Newbie

Opinons

Hi PWC Peeps,
    I'm new to the PWC world. Rode many but never owned one. Have a friend at work that has a 1999 Seadoo GTX Limited. 72 Hrs on motor. He had it checked out before every season he used it. It's been garaged on the trailer since 07. He really wants to get rid of it. Havn't seen it personally but he sent me some pics and it seriously looks brand new. I know he's honest about the upkeep on it.

I know it will need to be gone through. He hasn't givin me a price yet but I'm sure he will be fair. Just would like to get some thoughts from some of you veterans on maybe what it might be worth, on carb rebuilds, maybe performance hop ups.

I'm a tinkerer and a decent mechanic . Have a lot of experience with 2 stroke engines so just looking for something to play around with this summer that won't have to put a lot of money in.

Oh yeah I live in the left state of Calif where they're not to fond of 2 strokes so not sure yet where I can even put it in the water. So any advice, suggestions , and comments would be appreciated.

PWCToday Guru

Re: Opinons

Maybe you have heard it said before, "A boat is just a hole in the water, that you throw money into." The older the boat the deeper the hole.

It does sound like a good deal depending on how much he wants for it. Tt may have lots of potential. After sitting for 11 years, '07-'18, a lot can go wrong. Since we already had ethanol in the our gas in '07, depending on how it was prepared for storage, it is likely the hoses, fuel shut off valve, and internal carb parts are questionable. I would be a little concerned about the crank seals, perhaps being "stuck" to the crankshaft. If they are, when you start it, the lips can be torn allowing them to leak, which will kill the engine in short order. You should check the crankcase for leaks as soon as you get it home, before your ride it.

Check, actually look with your eyes, into the electrical box. If is has been sitting for that long with moisture in the box, things will be corroded, especially if it has been in salt water. If the box is nice inside, it is a relatively safe bet that the gauges and the rest of the wiring is good.

I can't comment on where you will be able to ride it in the Golden State.

Only you know how much time and money you are willing to invest in it.

Good Luck,

John
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

PWCToday Newbie

Re: Opinons

Yeah I know about the "hole" I owned an 18' Jet back in the late 70's. Like I said just want something to play around with this summer. Probably will just tear the engine and pump down and go through it. Actually going to go look at it today .

Thread Information