Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

How can I pull the bearings off this crankshaft? Polaris 700

I am rebuilding the engine in my '99 700cc polaris slth, and am having some diffuclty getting the bearings off the crankshaft.

The two outer bearings on the PTO side got completely rusted out and the cages fell apart, so the outer race just came right off. I am left with just the inner race on the crank, but there is no clearence to get any sort of puller around it because the counterweight is in the way.

How can I pull this off? I have tried using channel locks around the inner race but its not easy to grip and Im getting no where. If I heat for a few minutes with a propane torch, would it become loose enough to pull it of with either channel locks or putting it in the vise? I cant even get a flathead between the two surfaces so gripping around the race seems to be the only option. What do you guys think? Here is a picture

Thanks!

8847549468158737970.jpg

Re: How can I pull the bearings off this crankshaft? Polaris 700

Heat

Try using a steering wheel/ flywheel puller. One can be rented from your local autoparts store for around $40. If that doesn't do the trick you can try heating it with that torch then using the puller on it.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

if that race is fvcked from rust then the needle in the conrod will more than likely also be rusted.
    you may need to look for a good used crank "or" someone like me that is willing pop the crank apart and replace only necessary parts to get you out on the water..
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

Try heat first. Last resort is 2 ball peen hammers. Put the ball side of one hammer against the race. Support the bottom of the race on something solid. Hit the flat side of the ball peen with another big hammer. It will fracture the race as it is hardened. Once its fractured it will come off easy.
    90 X2 (750), 92 X2 (750), 93 X2 (750),93 X2 (750), 99 Ultra 150(sold) 1995 Waveblaster 1

PWCToday Guru

PUT SAFETY glasses on BEFORE you bang the hammers together!!!!

OXY/Acetlyene it a better torch choice if you have access to one and know how to use it. It is hotter and has more focused heat, you can get the bearing hotter much quicker and the crank will not get nearly as hot as with the propane.
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

Wouldn't a Cold Chisel and one Hammer be safer?
    Last edited by JC-SuperJet; 05-22-2018 at 08:53 AM.

PWCToday Guru

This is the correct way to remove it. Heating it and banging on it both risk bending or distorting the crank if you have never done it before. Even if you have, there is risk of damaging the crank.

bearing splitter.JPG
    2, 1998 TS 770 L, restored and running great. (Except for the one with engine that SBT put the WRONG crankshaft bearing into and is now sitting as I collect repair parts)

Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    This is the correct way to remove it. Heating it and banging on it both risk bending or distorting the crank if you have never done it before. Even if you have, there is risk of damaging the crank.

bearing splitter.JPG
    You still need a gap to get the bearing separator to work. There is no gap in the picture. I looks like its flush to the counter weight
    90 X2 (750), 92 X2 (750), 93 X2 (750),93 X2 (750), 99 Ultra 150(sold) 1995 Waveblaster 1

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hooka-2 View Post
    You still need a gap to get the bearing separator to work. There is no gap in the picture. I looks like its flush to the counter weight
    grip/clamp it on the race groove and set it in a shop press to push it off,it takes lots of rocket science here just to get a wasted bearing off..
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

Thread Information