User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

SBN44 gasket symptoms?

I have a 440/550 conversion with a SBN44 carb and issues at med/high load throttling...it will run but when I hit the gas, it will die out like when you have an exhaust leak and then run sh$##y for a while. I've been through the whole exhaust system, cooling, checked compression and electrical and was unsuccessful finding an issue. SO...I pulled the card to do a full cleanup rebuild. When I pulled it off, the lower gasket and plastic spacer were adhered well to the intake, but the upper gasket just lifted right off of the spacer and was coated in fluid (likely fogging oil since it was winterized last fall).

My question: if there was a leak in that base gasket, what symptoms would I see and could this be my issue?

TIA to all you experts...

Re: SBN44 gasket symptoms?

FYI I really liked this ski...but with a new(er) Superjet in my fleet now, I am fed up with tinkering on this one.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Bad base gasket would be running very lean and probably run away if started out of the water. Sounds like a fuel starvation issue. Has somebody drilled out the return restriction in the carb body? Have you verified there are no air leaks on the fuel supply? I have found several old 550's sucking air at the top of the fuel pickups, and they display the symptoms you describe.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Thanks, I'll check the pickups...I don't think the carb was modified and I got it a few years back from Zingler and it was working fine for some time. This is a new issue in the last year or so.

I usually disconnect the pickup and submerse in a 5 gallon bucket of water. Use a piece of tubing and blow into each pickup while plugging the end with a finger. Watch for the bubbles. If air can leak out it can also be sucked in.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

is there a particular location on the pickup I should look for leaks...i.e. a common area for failure?

Right up top where the the tubes connect to the cap.

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS

Thread Information