Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: Starter issues

PWCToday Newbie

Starter issues

I am trying to figure out if a starter is rebuildable or if it's cost effective to replace the pieces and parts or is it better to just throw money at it to replace the entire starter??? Thoughts...
    This year I pulled both boats out to get them ready for the season and one is dead electronically and this one is just making starter whine noises with no engagement.

PWCToday Regular

Re: Starter issues

Depends on the application. I've rebuilt Seadoo and Yamaha starters. They are very different animals, but yet very similar. You can find parts kits and they can be rebuilt in your own shop, but there are some tricky steps to the process. The Yamaha 701 starters have a metal strip that likes to break that connects the brushes. By your description, it sounds like you have a bad bendix or drive on the one that just whines. There's really not much you can do to rebuild a bad bendix or starter drive. At least not one that small. I would caution you away from the E-bay starters that are super cheap. I've seen the guts on some of those and you get what you pay for. Do you have a local starter/alternator shop? If so, take it to them. They should be able to rebuild it for not much money. You would be ahead to rebuild an OE versus buying a cheap Chinese clone.

PWCToday Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Mark22 View Post
    Depends on the application. I've rebuilt Seadoo and Yamaha starters. They are very different animals, but yet very similar. You can find parts kits and they can be rebuilt in your own shop, but there are some tricky steps to the process. The Yamaha 701 starters have a metal strip that likes to break that connects the brushes. By your description, it sounds like you have a bad bendix or drive on the one that just whines. There's really not much you can do to rebuild a bad bendix or starter drive. At least not one that small. I would caution you away from the E-bay starters that are super cheap. I've seen the guts on some of those and you get what you pay for. Do you have a local starter/alternator shop? If so, take it to them. They should be able to rebuild it for not much money. You would be ahead to rebuild an OE versus buying a cheap Chinese clone.
    Mark22 , I really appreciate the info, as I am an Automotive Technician which is VERY different from a Watercraft Technician. True lots of the same or similar parts and pieces, but similar can get you in big trouble real fast.
    I found I need a solenoid for one Sea Doo and the Bendix or starter motor for the other, so back to the drawing board for now. Kid just blew up his truck and that takes precedence over the fun stuff for now.
    Thanks again Mark

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home kcr357's Avatar

a used oem starter is a good value. Never tried aftermarket, but they don't have a good rep here.
    How many gerbils could a gerbil jammer jam if a gerbil jammer could jam gerbils?

"You build cheater motor's & still get smoked !!!!"
    "Its not your fault. You just don't understand what you're talking about. "

PWCToday Regular

On the Seadoo, a bad solenoid can easily mimic a weak or bad starter. The contacts burn off cause the starter to turn slow or weakly. Also on the Seadoo's they only use 2 brushes, compared to most that use 4. And the brushes like to stick when they get worn. You can get the drives for older Seadoo's BUT the snap ring and collar are nearly impossibly to get on. If you don't have experience with snap rings, I wouldn't try it! The aftermarket stuff uses cheap needle bearings. That's my biggest complaint with those. The OE starters use INA brand needle bearings, which are the only way to go. Aftermarkets use less needles and a cheaper steel cup and cage.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thread Information