Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Frequent Poster

2002 Sea Doo XP Over heating?

Just picked up an 2002 Sea Doo XP that was in storage since 2006. Rebuilt the cards, including N/S and cleaned out the fuel system. The ski runs great but it's overheating. If hooked up to the hose, water comes out the back by the pump and the pisser on the front left. For some reason when I'm at the lake the water is not flowing. I'M sure there is garbage in the lines.

Where should I start?

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Myself's Avatar

Re: 2002 Sea Doo XP Over heating?

The water comes from the jet pump up into the head, through the cylinders, out the exhaust manifold and headpipe, then out the rear. I would start by removing the line coming into the head and see if you can blow backwards through it. Also if the wear ring is completely trashed they will not pump enough water up through the system to stay cool.
    http://www.facebook.com/twinlakesjetskirepair

'89 Kawi 650SX 42.4 GPS
    +3" stock pipe, ported ex. manifold, drilled waterbox, blueprinted pump, Ocean Pro ride plate

'99 Yama GP1200 65U 61.8 GPS
    ported cylinders, matched cases, milled head, blueprinted pump, long ride plate

'96 Seadoo HX 717 53.13 GPS
    light porting, massaged cases, lightened flywheel, port matched manifolds, Rossier pipe, stubby pump cone

Frequent Poster

Wear ring is good. I guess, I will start by pulling lines. Can I hook the ski
    to the hose without the engine running?

PWCToday Regular

Never hook up hose with running water and the engine not running.

Resident Guru

Unfortunately, there lots of different cooling system schemes out there. Try to locate a diagram for your boat, and just verify that its all hooked up correctly. For example, on my expansion chamber there are two tapped holes for water fittings, rather close to each other. One is for water injection into the exhaust stream, and the other was a line back out to feed another component. Mix them up, and its overheat time.

This is correct

You can run the hose through the engine while its not running just make sure you block no 29 hose off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SURFnTURF; 05-07-2018 at 03:46 AM.

Frequent Poster

SurfnTurf, Should I have water coming out of the #5 fitting on the side of the exhaust pipe? I have good water flow every where except #5 while on the water hose.

Also I found died wasp in the line going to #5 fitting. Took the line of the Pressure Regulator and now I'm able to blow through it.

#9 on the back of the cases has good water flow
    #6 and #7 has good water flow

Am I missing anything?

Frequent Poster

Could the Pressure Regulator prevent water flow?

Resident Guru

If you found a dead creature, I would go over everything really carefully. I had an ant colony move into my garden hose over the winter once. Totally blocked the flow, once they all jammed up in the nozzle. I would check that #5 fitting while you're there to be sure it is open. And your thought about the regulator is valid too. In terms of operation, its more of a "proportioner". It should always be flowing, just changing the balance of the water between two outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by terryupnu View Post
    SurfnTurf, Should I have water coming out of the #5 fitting on the side of the exhaust pipe? I have good water flow every where except #5 while on the water hose.

Also I found died wasp in the line going to #5 fitting. Took the line of the Pressure Regulator and now I'm able to blow through it.

#9 on the back of the cases has good water flow
    #6 and #7 has good water flow

Am I missing anything?
    #9 is usually thread tape or Loctite ,I think you meant #8
    The rear water regulator on the water box is always open and flows water to the #5 fitting no matter what revs are
    The only thing it does is reduce water at higher rpms,but it still flows water so your rubber couplers between the pipe and waterbox etc dont melt
    It can be checked by unscrewing the fitting at the base of the regulator with a 10mm spanner,dont just unscrew it with your hands (#17 fitting) as you will damage it.It is a plastic threaded fitting that screws onto the #17 fitting and people usually twist them off and break the threaded shaft inside due to the difficulty of trying to access it through the rear hatch and then it leaks and cracks later
    It is an easy procedure to dismantle,have a look at the diagram I posted at the box to the left it has an expanded view.
    #17 fitting (in the box) has a 3mm hole through it so water always goes into the water box as well
    Last edited by SURFnTURF; 05-10-2018 at 04:44 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information