Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking On Water

PWCToday Regular

Re: Taking On Water

Long shot, if hood seal is shot or deformed (common if seal was replaced with aftermarket Hydroturf one), this could be the culprit.

I’ve replaced the hood seal... it was the first culprit I suspected.

Ok so i think i found one of the problems at least... Ants. Turns out my ski was a massive ant colony, they ate out one of the plugs on the bulkhead and got into the back part filled with foam... when i got the ski there was about 2 inches of foam dust all in the engine bay, I now know what its from, theyve made a nest inside the foam. I filled the engine bay up with ant killer so hopefully that will take care of that, but im a little worried they may have taken out so much foam it would compromise the skis ability to float should it sink.

Top Dog

if so.you can always pour more closed foam in the cavities.

This has been a debacle but i've finally got it figured out. Ant problem turned out to be much worse than i expected, had to use 2 ant spray bombs to (hopefully) get rid of them all. And I finaly got everything out of the hull and was able to find the leak, it appears it may be a factory mess up...The glue used to bond the bulkhead to the engine bay that goes all the way around has a small portion under the drive shaft bearing housing where its thinner than usual and water is seaping past slowly, but it is coming from this part. What type of glue or epoxy would ya'll suggest using to fix this? I believe i can just fill the cavity up and it should be good to go, though im not sure how water is getting behind the bulkhead... any thoughts or comments appreciated.
    js440 leak.JPGjs440 leak 2.jpg
    Last edited by treys599; 05-13-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: typo

Top Dog

stand the hull up on end.grind whatever needs to be ground and refit with thickened epoxy.
    if it leaks,check the drive tube at bulkhead and pump cavity.
    Last edited by restosud; 05-13-2018 at 11:54 PM.

Well I fixed the leak in the hull and put the ski back together and went out and rode it. It runs good, kinda slow but hey its a stock 440. Open the hood and theres still some water in the hull, not a lot , maybe 1/8 of an inch but more than usual after a ride. Turns out the exhaust pipe has some pin hole leaks near the welds and have been spraying the inside of the ski... Guess it isn't staying stock now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information