Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Frequent Poster

Aluminum Jetmate Fuel Tank

I was recently asked if I could make an aluminum replacement fuel tank for the Jetmate and was wondering if there was anyone else out there who would want one too. One-off tanks are expensive for me to make (I outsource the lasercutting and CNC bending, then weld/test/assemble in-house) so it would be much more cost effective if I can at least make a small batch of at least 3-5 to spread out the design/setup costs. Price would likely be in the $400-450 range if I can make a small batch, depending on how complex it ends up being. Displacement would likely be close to stock, if not slightly higher.

Thanks!
    Nathan

Re: Aluminum Jetmate Fuel Tank

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedSlip7 View Post
    I was recently asked if I could make an aluminum replacement fuel tank for the Jetmate and was wondering if there was anyone else out there who would want one too. One-off tanks are expensive for me to make (I outsource the lasercutting and CNC bending, then weld/test/assemble in-house) so it would be much more cost effective if I can at least make a small batch of at least 3-5 to spread out the design/setup costs. Price would likely be in the $400-450 range if I can make a small batch, depending on how complex it ends up being. Displacement would likely be close to stock, if not slightly higher.

Thanks!
    Nathan
    Iíd buy 4. Note there were two different tanks in the four model years and I donít know what changed. I have each if you need a model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Masonboswell View Post
    I’d buy 4. Note there were two different tanks in the four model years and I don’t know what changed. I have each if you need a model.

Seriously? Because that would make enough for a batch right there... any chance you could take a look at them and get an idea what the differences are? The guy who wants one said he would send me his broken tank so I would have at least one of them...

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedSlip7 View Post
    Seriously? Because that would make enough for a batch right there... any chance you could take a look at them and get an idea what the differences are? The guy who wants one said he would send me his broken tank so I would have at least one of them...
    I have 9 Jetmates and the tanks are crap, so could definitely use 4 at least. Iíve bought two sxr tanks from you and love your work. Iíll get some info on the differences, may take me a day or two. I actually just started a yearlong welding program and itís taking up my weekdays.

Finally got some pics. I can send you a model if you need one. Right is how they crack, middle is 89-90 Jetmate with no indentation that would crack due to pressure from the seat above. Left is 91-92 Jetmate with gauge and draw tube indented to make the top flatter and prevent the cracking. In aluminum/stainless you might not have the problems plastic did and may be able to return to the higher capacity of the original tanks. If I were making these I would ditch the screw in gauge, replace the center fixture with the 4 brass type fittings you put on the sxr tanks, and keep the fill and breather tubes off the back corner. The center fixture does contain the only way on the Jetmate to switch to reserve, you basically turn the center with a coin or screwdriver, it was very clunky. It would be better if the on/off valve that sits in front of the tank and is accessible with the seat on were a 3-position valve that had off/on/reserve. Kawasaki has part numbers that would work for that like on the 90s x2. The center fixture also has a one way anti-siphon valve in it. Otherwise itís just two different length draw tubes to provide normal and reserve draw. I could actually send you the tray this all fits into and a rear seat for fit testing if you send it back when youíre done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Masonboswell; 07-27-2018 at 07:08 PM.

Frequent Poster

Sorry about the delay. I've been sent a busted up tank already, it looks to be the far left model in your picture. Working on the CAD model of it now. Do the bottom of the tanks all have the same geometry? The features on top shouldn't be an issue. Duplicating the pickup style of the stock SXR tanks wouldn't be a problem, or I can copy the bolt pattern of the stock pickup assembly.

What does the smaller tube fitting next to the main fill tube do? Is that just a vent? If it is I could just have the main/reserve/return fittings in the middle and the vent fitting over by the main fill. You wouldn't need the internal fill at all then? The bottom tank geometry is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be, so if I could eliminate the billet cap/bung that would help keep the cost down. Then again, you wouldn't be able to tell how full the tank is without it...

The back tube is a breather/vent that goes to a hole by the fuel fill. The stock pickups are always deteriorating, I doubt anyone can reuse theirs so I favor the sxr tank setup. Bottom geometry is same on all years, let me see if itís all necessary. The fullness guages never work and I never use mine, and the hole it goes in is too small to fill from without a funnel. Some kind of clear looking glass/peephole on top would be cool but not necessary.

Took some pics. A few notes: there is an excess of clearance at the front of the tank that could be reduced, the geometry at the left corner where the guage screws on appears completely unnecessary there is nothing special to clear on that side, the obstacle at the bottom is the pump tunnel not sure why it ramps up from front of ski to back (bottom to top of these pics) but it does, got a pic of the simple on/off dial. One hose goes down from the middle of the tank to that valve, then a hose comes off the bottom of the valve and goes through a hole in the bottom of the tank area to the fuel pump in the engine bay. Why the tank cuts out 4Ē to avoid a small valve and 3/8Ē rubber hose is a mystery.

Last edited by Masonboswell; 07-31-2018 at 04:47 PM.

If you need it, I can send you this plastic piece in the pics for fit testing. Iím probably the only person that has disassembled a Jetmate far enough to have it out.

Last edited by Masonboswell; 07-31-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Frequent Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Masonboswell View Post
    If you need it, I can send you this plastic piece in the pics for fit testing. I’m probably the only person that has disassembled a Jetmate far enough to have it out.

I've been working on the design but if I had that piece here it would make it go much faster and allow me to maximize the tank size while providing a perfect fit. I was planning on send the patterns off to the other guy to check fitment so I was going more conservative to make sure that it had plenty of clearance. If you shipped me that plastic tub I could always ship it back with a finished tank in it to cut down on shipping costs. You could leave the stock tank out since I've already got one here.

If you want to ship it to me, you can send it to:

Nathan Sobas
    1333 Lake Blvd
    Marion, OH 43302

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information