Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

PWCToday Newbie

Saying Hello and here is my project

Last fall I purchased a non-running 2006 Aquatrax F12x Turbo. The guy I bought it off of bought it this way as a project and never got very far with it.. He had removed a couple of parts and thrown them in a box but that was about it. He wasn't sure exactly what was wrong with it or how many hours were on it. I was quite happy to find out it only has 53 hours once I got the cluster powered up.

I've had Craigslist searches setup for several months looking for a ski in this condition and cheap and I could't pass this up.

I decided to drag my equipment trailer down(4.5 hour drive) and I'm glad I did as the jet ski trailer totally needed new tires and some work on the lights...

Here are some pics of the ski when I bought it:

Once I started digging into it I learned that it was going to need to be completely disassembled, cleaned, repaired as needed, and reassembled. A good project for the winter...

I'm quite sure the cause of all of this was the blown exhaust manifold. Rather then spending $800 on a new one I decided to attempt a repair. It came out well but only time will tell how well it holds up. I did pressure test it up to 50psi and no leaks... Everything was TIG welded and the patch was CNC plasma cut.. The inner layer needed to be welded, ground, welded, ground, tested for leaks, welded, ground, etc.... The patch on the outer layer welded in nice and clean with no issues.

I tore the engine down and had my machinist stop by and take a look with me. We determined that the bearings were in good shape and could be re-used but it would need to be honed, re-ringed, and it needed new intake valves.. He took the parts he needed and started to work on them. I started cleaning(pressure washer, parts washer, sink, sand blast cabinet, degreaser, paint) all of the other parts.

While the engine was out I touched up the gelcoat on the hull, wet sanded, buffed, and waxed the entire ski:

I also had to replace the reverse cable as I couldn't get the original to free up..

I put it all together this past weekend but I am having some sort of electrical issue. My fuel pump is not priming. I've gone through several of the electrical test procedures in the service manual and, to me, the ECM seems unresponsive. I called Brian at JSI and he thinks it's probably an issue in the wiring harness. I plan to do more testing this coming weekend.

I've been a Honda 4 wheeler guy since the late 80s and I've always wanted to pick up one of these Skis. I'm also big into turbocharged EFI engines(GMC Syclones and Typhoons specifically) so this is right up my alley..

I did have a Yamaha WaveBlaster II 760 many years ago. I sold it back when my son was born(13 years ago) and am excited to own another ski.

If it does end up being the ECM I'll likely pull the motor back out so that I can modify the crank and cam pickups and use an aftermarket ECM. I just can't see spending $800 for a replacment factory ECM that I'm locked out of and can't make any changes to...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Re: Saying Hello and here is my project

Nice build! I purchased all the R&D parts from the company that built the prototype Typhoon & Cyclones. Jordan of parts were in the mix. Those are very cool trucks.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

Quote Originally Posted by mattjw76 View Post
    I put it all together this past weekend but I am having some sort of electrical issue. My fuel pump is not priming. I've gone through several of the electrical test procedures in the service manual and, to me, the ECM seems unresponsive. I called Brian at JSI and he thinks it's probably an issue in the wiring harness. I plan to do more testing this coming weekend.

If it does end up being the ECM I'll likely pull the motor back out so that I can modify the crank and cam pickups and use an aftermarket ECM. I just can't see spending $800 for a replacment factory ECM that I'm locked out of and can't make any changes to...
    Hmmm... I'm not a Honda guy at all but Honda ECU issues seem to pop up in the forum a lot. Might want to check this thread out: http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=125495
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Welcome to the site.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

PWCToday Newbie

I figured out the problem.. Bad connection....

I pulled all 14 of those pins, cleaned them real well then coated them with no-ox... Hopefully that solves the issue...

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Cleatusjo's Avatar

Welcome. Sweet build.

PWCToday Newbie

I took it out for a couple hours today and it ran fantastic. It read 66 on the Speedo(not GPS verified). No issues and it was dry as a bone when I took it out and pulled the plugs.. I just hope it continues to run as well as it did today..

Thread Information