User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

92 Waverunner Hard cold starting

I've read a lot about these old 2 stroke skis being hard to start especially when setting for days but this ski is ridiculously hard to start. I thought it was a spark issue , put on new caps but it doesn't seem to help. It was getting spark I was just doubting if it was enough. I can pour fuel into the carburetor and it won't fire but most of the time if I crank it several times and wait about a minute it'll fire right up. I thought maybe it was flooded I don't really smell the fuel I've tried starting it cold with the choke on or off doesn't make any difference so like I said if it doesn't fire I'll put a little gas right into the carburetor and it still doesn't fire. Once I get it running I can shut it off it'll fire right back up every time until it sets for several hours or overnight. I have two identical skis both 92 vxr waverunners and they're both the same very hard to start when cold one of the skis I rebuilt the carburetor made no difference.

Banjomaniac

Re: 92 Waverunner Hard cold starting

Check compression.

There's an intermittent problem, I tried cranking it Sunday and after a couple minutes off and on, it satca few minutes and then it was dead, after pulling the lanyard and pushing stop button a few times still dead so I hit the switch housing with a screenshot driver handle and it started right up. I doubt it's related to the cranking forever to get it started. I pulled the switch housing and they all looked shiny inside and 0 corrosion BUT the start switch did have some grease? That was dirty on the contacts. My question is should I put grease back on it, dielectric?

I think I've got it, not sure. I flushed out the tank and put on a new filter and last couple days I cranked it after work and it fired up pretty fast. Now on to Craig's List they go!

Thread Information