Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kawi 650 no start

So I'm finishing my fix steer 650sx. Hook everything up. Dump some fuel down carb and bam fires right up. Pretty surprised that I didn't run into headaches until..... I put the on off switch on the bars and thumb throttle on and tried to start but nothing. I'm stumped. It's getting fuel. Looks like plenty of spark. Compression 150 in each cylinder. Took it apart. Checked the key way to the flywheel. Still intact. Timing on stator has not moved. I just don't understand what else there could be. Any input would be great. Could my on off switch be causing the issue?
    Mixin gas and haulin ***

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home john zigler's Avatar

Re: Kawi 650 no start

For an engine to run, you must have spark, fuel, and compression. You need to determine what is missing from this equation, and trouble shoot from there.

Checking spark by laying the plugs on the head is not necessarily accurate. Weak spark will go away under load, and compression is load. You really should use a spark tester that goes in between the spark pug, and wire.

The 650's have a weak ignition system. You battery has to be 100% for it to run. I would start by checking battery voltage when cranking. It should not drop below 11 volts.
    RCJS also doing business as WATCON
    608-743-1305 9am to 5pm CST m-f
    email watcon@watcon.com

Please visit our web sites

new parts / products / services www.watcon.com
    used parts www.rockcountyjetski.webs.com
    thank you

Please check out and like WATCON on Facebook

Try starting as if we're flooded

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

are you getting any sign of it wanting to fire up, ,IE: backfire, smell burning 2 smoke, go back over your work from when it popped right off and see if there is any thing out of place.... gotta hate it when this shyt happens ,it will be something simple. even zigler could figure it out.
    Last edited by hyosung; 04-16-2018 at 11:54 AM.
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

Fuel lines are not backwards on the carb? Check wire connections? Try pouring more gas down?

PWCToday Newbie PiranahIndustries's Avatar

You can check your stop button wiring by disconnecting from the E-box and checking for resistance between the two wires. It is possible your stop button is sticking closed (this will give you a value reading on an ohm meter). The stop button is a normally open switch, and should give you an "infinite" resistance reading at rest, close to 0 ohms when pressed. If your button is stuck, it would prevent it from firing.
    1987 JS550/750 Conversion
    1990 550sx - stock

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home hyosung's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PiranahIndustries View Post
    You can check your stop button wiring by disconnecting from the E-box and checking for resistance between the two wires. It is possible your stop button is sticking closed (this will give you a value reading on an ohm meter). The stop button is a normally open switch, and should give you an "infinite" resistance reading at rest, close to 0 ohms when pressed. If your button is stuck, it would prevent it from firing.
    it has spark ................... read before posting............. stop button stuck "NO SPARKS"".
    2 x 650 sx custom build (my toys) http://www.pwctoday.com/showthread.php?t=425767

modded X2 650

stock looking ZXI 900 ""being cannibalized to sponsor a 650 sx build """

Jerry Rigging is my specialty .....

Originally Posted by hyosung
    so when you say i """ hammer and slap things together """ this may be so , BUT they are hammered and slapped together SOLID

PWCToday Newbie PiranahIndustries's Avatar

I did read before posting - just suggested a way to check the original question posed "Could my on off switch be causing the issue"....
    1987 JS550/750 Conversion
    1990 550sx - stock

Ok thanks for all of your help
    Mixin gas and haulin ***

Figured it out!! My father rebuilt my cdkII. Noticed fuel dumping down my intake after turning it over. So it was REALLY FLOODED. Took spark plugs out and turned her over for awhile. Disconnected the lines so it wouldn't keep dumping fuel. Turned that ***** over and tons of **** came out of the exhaust and all over the floor. Ding ding ding she purred. My father is in trouble lol. Probably the needle and seat?
    Mixin gas and haulin ***

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information