Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Thread: My First ski

PWCToday Newbie

My First ski

I picked up a 92 kawi 750sx. Iím doing a rebuild and had a few questions. It will be a stock motor and exhaust.
    1 what would be a good impeller is and make for playing around and trying to work out some trick.
    2 what is a good intake grate that will improve performance as well.
    Iím not looking to break the bank but looking for good all around. Also is there any diy things guys can do as well.
    Thanks in advance

PWCToday Guru

Re: My First ski

Hi,

For a ski that is bone stock, I would do this to build a fun ski on the cheap.

1.A good mat. I like Jettrim the best but have had good like with hydro-turf.
    2.0 degree bars with good grips and a finger throttle, I like Blowsions throttle and
    ODI clamp on grips personally.
    3. Skat-trak 9/17 impeller, find a nice used one to save money. Make sure your pump
    is in good shape. Bearings/ stator vanes/pump to hull seal.
    4. Intake grate, for a play ski you could go with a cheaper top loader, or
    just a 2 bar open grate is fine for just playing around (and cheap).
    5. If you are planning to try subs, a bilge pump kit is a good idea.
    6. DIY mods: An aftermarket cylinder head is an easy bolt on. ADA has
    a reasonably priced head with replaceable domes. 170-185psi for premium pump gas
    is a good range. You could also send your OEM head out to a place like groupK or newmiller machine and have it milled to save money. I always added an extra 1/8npt x3/8 hosebarb fitting to the
    OEM headpipe also. I routed that overboard with a bypass fitting. I could then
    use various sized restriction pills in that line to control head pipe pressure. That dried
    out the stock pipe a bit and helped with acceleration.

I'm sure you'll get other ideas, this is just what worked for
    me in the past to make a fun play ski without spending a ton
    of cash.
    Last edited by ACP; 04-08-2018 at 05:21 PM.
    2001 Superjet; R&D, Blowsion, UMI, Riva, Wetwolf, Ocean Pro.

1987 650sx: Mariner, UMI, Neo Designes, R&D, Jetsports, Renthal, Hydro-Turf, Skat-Trak, Reworked stock pipe, 40mm carb, Wetwolf F/S cone.

1986 JS300; lots of mods, fast for a 300...I think

1987 X2: Rips pretty good and has some 80's flare.

PWCToday Newbie

This is some great info thank you. Is there a chance you could pm me your number. I have a couple questions on the rerouting exhaust.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Rushford_Ripper's Avatar

I have a good used 750 Skat 9-17 if interested

PWCToday Newbie

Any pic and price

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home BLRider's Avatar

Your ski has a small pin 750 motor in it, great motor for your intended purpose. A 9/17 is a great impeller for your ski and relatively easy to swap into your ski. Another low cost head mod for your ski would to find a lime green 750 head, those came off of the xi model 750's and can new you better GO. There are other green heads that Kawi made but they are more if a mint green and could put you in the danger zone for blowing up your motor. I'm sure it's been mentioned already but change the crank shaft seals with new OEM ones, should be about $60, there are cheaper ones on eBay but they don't last long. There is one last thing I'd do and that is to remove and plug the crank case drain, found under the starter, get rid of it be for it kills your motor. The rubber stopper cracks with age and leaks air then the kean condition kills your motor. Block off plates are around $20 - cheap insurance.
    Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Thread Information