Not a member yet?
Register Now!

» Find OEM Parts

» Jobs

» wallpapers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    PWCToday Newbie

Opinions for a first time buyer

I知 looking into buying my first jet ski, been thinking about it awhile and I want to pull the trigger. It will mostly be used in the bay and ocean, so something decently stable. Also I want something that will not get bored of in a year or so, something something decently quick( 50mph or so) I知 liking the Yamaha fx ho. What do u guys think, trying to keep it under $3500, also it has to be a 4 stroke.

Re: Opinions for a first time buyer

Always good buys on Craigslist....or FB marketplace. Should be good to go @ 3,500 that will include a trailer.
    Have a Seadoo RXT 2005 that i am still not bored on....good luck, Weaver & don't forget to show your new ride!!!!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home Grumpy Old Guy's Avatar

99% of the time $3500 will buy you a piece of junk that will need lots of repairs.

Not bashing on you but when you go riding in the ocean you better have a ski that is 100% condition or you might not be coming back.

I have even seen where a guy went to test ride a jet ski for purchase...the ski broke down & HE STILL BOUGHT IT !!! Brought it in for us to look at & the motor was FU$KeED. Big $$$$ Not only once but have seen this several time's....what the F are people thinking ??

The best $$ you will ever spend is to have a good jetski tech check the ski out & test ride it before purchase.

Also if you dont have disposable $$$$ dont buy a jetski. Good luck & sorry to be so negative but thats just me I call it as I see it Mon-Fri 9-5:30

PWCToday Newbie

Ok thanks for the info guys how do you feel about this one, I haven’t picked any more in for from the guy yet.https://m.ebay.com/itm/2007-Yamaha-F...sAAOSw5lJauCQJ

PWCToday Newbie

The key is to be patient, and check craigslist and facebook often, as the good deals get snapped up quick. You also need to be willing to drive a little too. I found a great deal on a ski 400 miles away that was just listed, it needed a lot of cleaning, SC washers replaced, wear ring replaced, and I had the plugs and oil changed. Saying all that I still came out $400 under your budget on a 05 rxp with 160 hours. I'd stay away from ebay........and be patient!

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home bandit88's Avatar

The Yamaha is a good choice for a used ski. The main thing I would look for if you dont want a potential project is maintenance history. How often was the oil changed, how was it stored, was it winterized every year? Stuff like that. Also, if you can, test ride before you buy. If there are any issues or something that doesnt seem right, walk away unless the seller is willing to price it accordingly.

PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home

$3500 for a good 4 stroke is going to be tough. You'll have to be patient and diligent in looking. Keep a good eye on Craigslist postings in your area and jump quickly on anything that looks good. I doubt you'll find an FX HO in your price range. You'll probably have to settle for something like a VX.
    Riding mostly Lake Austin

1984 JS440 -- 1989 650sx -- 1991 X2 -- 1992 750sx -- 1995 900zxi (qty 2) -- 1995 X2

Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    God intended PWC to be two strokes, as well as dirt bikes, snowmobiles, and chain saws....

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Guy View Post
    Also if you dont have disposable $$$$ dont buy a jetski.
    words of wisdom right there

PWCToday Newbie

No way I would take out a loan for a PWC, but owning one isn't like throwing money away. I lurk on these threads and see a ton of unnecessary money spent on things that the average joe could care less about. If you save up, and find a good deal on a quality jetski that you don't drive like you stole it, and you aren't concerned about modifications, then its about the same upkeep as a riding lawn mower.

Quote Originally Posted by Goheelzfan View Post
    a quality jetski that you don't drive like you stole it, and you aren't concerned about modifications
    giphy.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information