• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MadMax45186
    PWCToday Newbie
    • Jul 2010

Re: About Racing CDIs

Bump for an old thread. I recently tried running an msd enhancer on the 5* retard mark on the stator. Not enough time on the motor to really tell how it's doing, but it starts, idles well and seemed responsive up to about 1/2 throttle (still needs fine tuning). I only ran the ski for about 20minutes on the trailer in water, breaking in a new top end. It's a ported 735, 37cc domes, r&d rev2 pipe, Novi carbs

Comment

• Quinc
      PWCToday.com Is My Home Away From Home
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by MadMax45186 View Post
      Bump for an old thread. I recently tried running an msd enhancer on the 5* retard mark on the stator. Not enough time on the motor to really tell how it's doing, but it starts, idles well and seemed responsive up to about 1/2 throttle (still needs fine tuning). I only ran the ski for about 20minutes on the trailer in water, breaking in a new top end. It's a ported 735, 37cc domes, r&d rev2 pipe, Novi carbs

I think you read that thread wrong. Most people run a 2-3 degree advance at the stator on the theory that the msd retards the timing in the upper rpm range.
      Electric Jetski 300sx
      Sonic Jet Cafe Racer
      Wetjet
      Riding Flood waters
      701 jetmate

Comment

• MadMax45186
        PWCToday Newbie
        • Jul 2010

No, I meant to pull out timing because it's a race set up that's gonna be held wide open a lot. Ocd solutions put multiple enhancers on his test rig and they showed about 22 degrees advance at 7k rpm. Not good. But i can't prove the timing curve either. I appreciate your concern though. I may end up changing the static timing if I'm not happy with performance.

Comment

• MTRHEAD
          Resident Guru
          • Nov 2003

Originally posted by MadMax45186 View Post
          No, I meant to pull out timing because it's a race set up that's gonna be held wide open a lot. Ocd solutions put multiple enhancers on his test rig and they showed about 22 degrees advance at 7k rpm. Not good. But i can't prove the timing curve either. I appreciate your concern though. I may end up changing the static timing if I'm not happy with performance.
          . Good move! Let us know how it goes
          62t is about 18 up top. Still too much after about 7400!

Comment

• MadMax45186
            PWCToday Newbie
            • Jul 2010

Quick first ride report, it pulls pretty hard in the mid range, I did not notice any detrimental effects of -5 stator timing with the msd enhancer. I am really amazed how much a difference ecwi makes on the r&d pipe, it's night and day. This pump gas Motor hits just as hard or harder in the low/mid than my old race gas/b pipe set up. Just my first impressions

Comment

• fitzen101
              AKA: Fitzy Cent
              Top Dog
              • Feb 2005

nice write up Harry. this is why when I do river runs on my race ski, I have to roller coaster the power band and never stay constant or I risk deto. I cant even keep up with the stockers, I have to carve it up to get to where i'm going (ha ha). but on the track it flat rips and I never see detonation.

Comment

• MadMax45186
                PWCToday Newbie
                • Jul 2010

I finally had some smooth water for peak rpm testing the other week. I hit 7173rpm with the msd enhancer on the -5 mark.
                Last edited by MadMax45186; 06-23-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X